Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Riding with out a car seat

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

We are traveling to Boston. And I'm not sure how that works with taxis. We wont have my daughters carseat since she wont have a seat on the train. Could she go in a taxi with out a carseat if we needed too? We aren't planning on using taxi's just the subway but I was wondering if carseat laws are different in taxis just in case. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I know in New York that it is okay to use a taxi without a carseat but I wouldn't do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM

depending on the journey, state, etc taxi's are allowed to not have children in car seats. It *should* be fine :)

whooperz
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I think it should be illegal, but its not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM

i think a taxi is 'exempt', altho i think taxi co's should carry a carseat in the trunk so if one is needed or requested it can be used. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Yes, she can go in a taxi without a carseat, weird, isn't it? How old is she? How long is the taxi ride?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM

She is 17 months. We  plan on just walking and taking the subway, but I want to be sure that if we get lost/have an emergency/or something else unplanned happens we could take a taxi with her. We have never traveled to Boston so I want to be prepared. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, she can go in a taxi without a carseat, weird, isn't it? How old is she? How long is the taxi ride?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

She is 17 months. We  plan on just walking and taking the subway, but I want to be sure that if we get lost/have an emergency/or something else unplanned happens we could take a taxi with her. We have never traveled to Boston so I want to be prepared. 

Yeah, you can do it, if you had to. I don't know why that's allowed (taxi with no car seat) because when driving with your child, the car seat is a requirement. You'll be fine. Have a great time!

Quoting Anonymous:

AleaKat
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM
We did it in NYC once but the ride wasn't long and I sat him in my lap and stretched the belt over both of us.i was still extremely nervous.
We rarely ever take taxis. Total waist of money I'd much rather take the subway or bus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM

It's not illegal but I wouldn't even trust a cab driver to drive safely in Boston. Take the T if you can. 

Omd12
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM
The T goes everywhere you will need to go!! I never had a car when I moved from the suburbs to Boston I sold it. I never needed it and I've never taken a cab. I've lived in South Boston for 12 years. Enjoy your stay!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)