Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you one of "those" moms?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have a friend who always uses the pronoun "we" when referring to her dd.

"We have a cold."

"We had preschool today."

"We've been hitting lately."

Lol. Really? You're both hitting? Or just her? And you went to preschool too? ;)

I know, no big deal. But it gets on my nerves a little. I tend to notice that the mom's who use "we" to refer to their kids also tend to be the ones who can't seperate their own identities from their childrens' identities and tend to be the moms that are a little too involved in their kids' every move. Actually, I read a study once that broke down the psychology of it and found it to be true.

Are you a "we" mom? :)
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Lol. This friend wouldn't take that too well.

Quoting Val99:

Ahhhh...it used to be called "the royal we" or "the majestic plural".   It is when one would use the plural to refer to a single person of high office, who is seen as someone of great excellence or power.

What a way to give the child a fat head!   The mother probably doesn't even know the origins of this construct.  Print something out on it from the web, hand it to her, and tell her she's not allowed to do it anymore until the child is sitting on a throne.

Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM

So?  Sometimes our friends are those who need our help.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Val99:

Ahhhh...it used to be called "the royal we" or "the majestic plural".   It is when one would use the plural to refer to a single person of high office, who is seen as someone of great excellence or power.

What a way to give the child a fat head!   The mother probably doesn't even know the origins of this construct.  Print something out on it from the web, hand it to her, and tell her she's not allowed to do it anymore until the child is sitting on a throne.

momof2gingers
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Sometimes. Usually it's "we've been cranky today". If they get cranky I wind up cranky too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Needing someone's help does not make someone less of an individual and an extension of someone else. Not to be rude, but I think you might need some help. You are viewing yourself in an almost narcissistic light. That is not healthy for you OR your children.

Quoting bigmessylife:

Quoting Anonymous:

I know they are individuals, but they are 100% reliant on me. They ARE part of everything I do, so yes, for now my kids feel like extensions of myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Lol no
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM
There are people who can tolerate advice like that, and those who can not. This lady would not be my friend any more if I did that. It's just how she is. I like her for other reasons so its irrelevant.

Quoting Val99:

So?  Sometimes our friends are those who need our help.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Val99:

Kambamlyn
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Yup. I am.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
camo.roo
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I don't think I've said stuff like that.
romalove
by SakePrincess on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM

No

elliem87
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Nope. I say "she" "they" "them".

I will give you an example: "They are driving me crazy!"

I'm one of those moms haha
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)