Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

All this talk about welfare reform made me think of SSI , yet another welfare give away

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

That needs to be overhauled as well.  Too many using that system and they are nothing but drug addicts. I don't want to hear about your anxiety, many of us have that.  I don't care your ass hurts you, deal with it  I know somone on it for 20 yrs, because he has social issues.  BALONEY.  If I can get over my issues, so can you. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Getting SSI is not an easy task and not everyone who can collect it does. I could easily get it for myself because no I can't work. But I don't need it so no I don't apply. I see no point. My mother does need it and did apply. It took her YEARS to get it. It is not a simple thing to get.

Why would you Mom get SSI? Didn't she ever work? SSI is for people who never paid into social security. SSDI is for people who worked and paid in-it pays out at YOUR rate..SSI does not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
You can't get ssi if you don't have enough work credit, atleast that's one denial reason in NJ.
Emt2Rn
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
And parents that work and have special needs children? They could afford children, then surprise you gave birth to a special needs child whom will require lots of surgeries, lots if extra medical expenses, possibly home health as well. A lot of these parents still work, but their insurance only goes so far. Feeding tubes, tracheostomies, colostomies, etc...

Quoting angevil53:

I hate the idea that parents get this for their children. It's supposed to be their jobs to pay for their kids. I'm not against medical at all but there's no reason to me that they need cash to pay for what they brought into the world.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

My parents did not get Medicaid for me and I don't get it for my son but we can both qualify for SSI. Yet we do not even apply. The gas expenses to get to the only testing facilities are through the roof. I have to drive to Boston not just down the road to a pediatrician. There is a three hour difference. Yes that gets taken into account. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

SSI for children is to pay for expenses that are past what a normal child would cost. Not every insurance will cover treatments, hospitalizations, copays, gas expenses, plane/train/bus tickets, etc. There are many times were families lose everything because their children get sick. This is why SSI is important. 

Quoting angevil53:

I hate the idea that parents get this for their children. It's supposed to be their jobs to pay for their kids. I'm not against medical at all but there's no reason to me that they need cash to pay for what they brought into the world.

They get Medicaid for that-the medical bills that insurance won't cover.  The gas? I don'tget to deduct the gas I use to take my kids to the Dr...if you are going to give them money for that-then it should be a tax deduction for everyone else!

angevil53
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Medicaid will cover all that and more. But no you don't get preferred treatment on medicaid. My child us just as important as any other child yet if i can't afford gas to take his sick butt to the dr I'm screwed or if i don't have the copay ready I'm screwed. All kids should be treated equal. No one child is worth more than another.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

SSI for children is to pay for expenses that are past what a normal child would cost. Not every insurance will cover treatments, hospitalizations, copays, gas expenses, plane/train/bus tickets, etc. There are many times were families lose everything because their children get sick. This is why SSI is important. 

Quoting angevil53:

kidlover2
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM
How about a severely mentally disabled child. If you had one how would you handle the situation...and go.

Quoting Anonymous:

Can't or won't?  I have known a man in a wheelchair with MS and also blind who works as an excellent software developer.  He says he was not going to spend his life sitting on the public dole when if he's smart he can make something of his life.

Next to him these people are crybabies.

Quoting kidlover2:

How do they pay for their kids if they can't work?

Quoting angevil53:

Cristie0911
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes!! This! OP is spot on!

Quoting Anonymous:

That needs to be overhauled as well.  Too many using that system and they are nothing but drug addicts. I don't want to hear about your anxiety, many of us have that.  I don't care your ass hurts you, deal with it  I know somone on it for 20 yrs, because he has social issues.  BALONEY.  If I can get over my issues, so can you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

medicaid is a fucking JOKE...anyone on it knows it is....it's better than nothing, but they won't pay for treatments if iti's not on their roster of treatments to pay for, even if other ins's will cover it....bottom line is, if your'e poor you die, if your'e rich, you live

Quoting angevil53:

Medicaid will cover all that and more. But no you don't get preferred treatment on medicaid. My child us just as important as any other child yet if i can't afford gas to take his sick butt to the dr I'm screwed or if i don't have the copay ready I'm screwed. All kids should be treated equal. No one child is worth more than another.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Quoting angevil53:

angevil53
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
If i have to take my son somewhere special i have to suck it up and pay for it. He's my kid and it's my job. No one else's!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

My parents did not get Medicaid for me and I don't get it for my son but we can both qualify for SSI. Yet we do not even apply. The gas expenses to get to the only testing facilities are through the roof. I have to drive to Boston not just down the road to a pediatrician. There is a three hour difference. Yes that gets taken into account. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Quoting angevil53:

They get Medicaid for that-the medical bills that insurance won't cover.  The gas? I don'tget to deduct the gas I use to take my kids to the Dr...if you are going to give them money for that-then it should be a tax deduction for everyone else!

Rust.n.Gears
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM

My mother did work as a nurse until the epilepsy came on. Then everything changed. She absolutely paid into social security. Why would you assume she did not?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Getting SSI is not an easy task and not everyone who can collect it does. I could easily get it for myself because no I can't work. But I don't need it so no I don't apply. I see no point. My mother does need it and did apply. It took her YEARS to get it. It is not a simple thing to get.

Why would you Mom get SSI? Didn't she ever work? SSI is for people who never paid into social security. SSDI is for people who worked and paid in-it pays out at YOUR rate..SSI does not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)