Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All this talk about welfare reform made me think of SSI , yet another welfare give away

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

That needs to be overhauled as well.  Too many using that system and they are nothing but drug addicts. I don't want to hear about your anxiety, many of us have that.  I don't care your ass hurts you, deal with it  I know somone on it for 20 yrs, because he has social issues.  BALONEY.  If I can get over my issues, so can you. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Replies (31-40):
Caspriel
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Quoting angevil53:

I hate the idea that parents get this for their children. It's supposed to be their jobs to pay for their kids. I'm not against medical at all but there's no reason to me that they need cash to pay for what they brought into the world.

What if their child's disabilities kept the single parent at home to care for them?No one plans on bringing a disabled child into the world btw..
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM
7 moms liked this

I'm not going to rip anyone a "new one".  Those who do not have children with disabilities and are not lower income have no idea what they are talking about.  Only opinions.

I have a child who is severely disabled.  Love this child more than words can say.  There is no child care that can/will take him for me to work in my area.  Even if there was, I lost my last two jobs because I missed so much work with his Dr appointments, illnesses, etc.  I can't hold onto a job at this point in time because of his medical needs.  So, yes, he gets SSI.  It's not the max because my husband works full time and part time jobs, but it does what it is meant to do.  SUPPLEMENT our income.  It allows us to get by and is used for extra things my son needs that his insurance doesn't cover.  It is also meant to go towards his needs and can be used to help pay bills, house payment, etc.  Not everyone who gets assistance is buying drugs or milking the system.  I am all for the drug testing.  I have nothing to worry about.

I didn't ask to have a child with severe needs, however, I am doing the best I can.  I'm taking online courses so that I can get a degree in addition to taking him to multiple appointments during the week. I'm definitely not sitting on my a$$ eating bon bons.  And have every intention on being able to support ourselves without assistance as soon as possible.  I don't like being on assistance but am extremely thankful it is there. 

miss_lisa
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

SSI for children is to pay for expenses that are past what a normal child would cost. Not every insurance will cover treatments, hospitalizations, copays, gas expenses, plane/train/bus tickets, etc. There are many times were families lose everything because their children get sick. This is why SSI is important. 

Quoting angevil53:

I hate the idea that parents get this for their children. It's supposed to be their jobs to pay for their kids. I'm not against medical at all but there's no reason to me that they need cash to pay for what they brought into the world.

They get Medicaid for that-the medical bills that insurance won't cover.  The gas? I don'tget to deduct the gas I use to take my kids to the Dr...if you are going to give them money for that-then it should be a tax deduction for everyone else!

It is a tax deduction so long as you spend enough of your money on it. Those with disabled children have the same qualification, if you spend a certain percentage of your income on medical expenses they are tax deductible.

There are things Medicaid won't cover because it is a state run insurance. I live in North Dakota, my best friends son has mitochondrial disease and severe food allergies. He spent almost a month in Denver in two different hospitals where they ran different tests for the allergies and sought out possible therapy options for him. North Dakota Medicaid would not cover the visit. Thankfully her family is more financially secure so the trip was still doable, but had they not been they would have had to rely on charity in order to make the trip which was absolutely necessary.

There are numerous expenses that even Medicaid and insurance won't cover with a disabled child, SSI helps with that.

Anonymous

Do you have to drive cross country to get to the right doctor?  Spend weeks in a hospital 500 miles away from home, unable to work while your child gets treatment?

this isn't a quick stop at the local ped for a weight check.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

SSI for children is to pay for expenses that are past what a normal child would cost. Not every insurance will cover treatments, hospitalizations, copays, gas expenses, plane/train/bus tickets, etc. There are many times were families lose everything because their children get sick. This is why SSI is important. 

Quoting angevil53:

They get Medicaid for that-the medical bills that insurance won't cover.  The gas? I don'tget to deduct the gas I use to take my kids to the Dr...if you are going to give them money for that-then it should be a tax deduction for everyone else!

Anonymous

yes, because everyone's problems are JUST like the op's and can overcome.....

Quoting Cristie0911:

Yes!! This! OP is spot on!

Quoting Anonymous:

That needs to be overhauled as well.  Too many using that system and they are nothing but drug addicts. I don't want to hear about your anxiety, many of us have that.  I don't care your ass hurts you, deal with it  I know somone on it for 20 yrs, because he has social issues.  BALONEY.  If I can get over my issues, so can you. 

Anonymous
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

My parents did not get Medicaid for me and I don't get it for my son but we can both qualify for SSI. Yet we do not even apply. The gas expenses to get to the only testing facilities are through the roof. I have to drive to Boston not just down the road to a pediatrician. There is a three hour difference. Yes that gets taken into account. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Quoting angevil53:

Why would someone who was permently disabled to the point that they can get disability ( and never worked)  have a child?  Well unless you have enough family money to support yourself and your child forever.....

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

It sucks ass.  Any help beyond regular check ups and physicals seems to take an act of the universe to get approved anymore.  Even when it's happening before their very eyes.

The parents didn't plan on having children with disabilities and those families deserve a little more help. 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

My parents were forced to put me in an institution for 90 days so the insurance company would pay for my therapy. Those places are hell holes.  

Quoting randi1978:

While I do agree that it does appear that there are quite a few who do not need it and get it, what about those that do truly need it?

The one who brought up children.....what about children with extreme special needs?  Depending on the needs of the child, it could bankrupt the family completely.  What are they supposed to do, give up their kid to an institution? 

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM
My aunt has one. She's never received anything past medicaid and that's bc two insurance companies dropped him entirely for reaching his million dollar limit. She works full time. Her dh works full time plus. They have opposite shifts and a caretaker they pay for out of pocket.

Quoting kidlover2:

How about a severely mentally disabled child. If you had one how would you handle the situation...and go.

Quoting Anonymous:

Can't or won't?  I have known a man in a wheelchair with MS and also blind who works as an excellent software developer.  He says he was not going to spend his life sitting on the public dole when if he's smart he can make something of his life.

Next to him these people are crybabies.

Quoting kidlover2:

How do they pay for their kids if they can't work?

Quoting angevil53:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

sometimes the disabilities are such that one of the parents can't work. My dd is severely autistic and moderately mentally handicapped. She has screaming/self abusing fits and has to be monitored 24/7 or she is a danger to herself and others. At 9 she barely talks and can hardly communicate. There is no way we would be able to put her in daycare or find a babysitter.

We both worked full time before dd developed her problems but now one of us has to stay home with her so we have lost an income and really need the ssi to get by. 

dh works full time and it's the only assistance we get and believe me I'd much rather go back to work and hand over the check and have a dd that at 9 can talk to me and interact the way that other kids do. I know it's our child we brought into the world but there was no way we could imagine this would happen and we can't get by on just my dh income so I don't see what other option we have.

Quoting angevil53:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

i agree with most of it all the ssi recipients i know are drug addicts, some people really do need it though, but they are the minority

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured