Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

All this talk about welfare reform made me think of SSI , yet another welfare give away

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

That needs to be overhauled as well.  Too many using that system and they are nothing but drug addicts. I don't want to hear about your anxiety, many of us have that.  I don't care your ass hurts you, deal with it  I know somone on it for 20 yrs, because he has social issues.  BALONEY.  If I can get over my issues, so can you. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
The only person I hate that received SSI was my MIL. She received her own, then her DH died & the kids received death benefits. MIL would send the kids benefits to a scam artist, then beg family & friends for help with food, clothes & bills. I reported her ass. My DS will have his dx soon, the first thing out of her mouth was "Can you get SSI?" Yeah...we probably could..doubt we will though. smh.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh crap OP, get ready for a shit storm of laziness and calling you "ignorant" because you know how it really is! Preach it! Get off your lazy asses and get to work. Oh, and aspergers kids don't need it either, just another lazy ass hand out to take care of your own kids. They should be ashamed that they want to be paid to stay home with their kids. Smh
Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I do too. So why are you commenting like this? I work and pay for my child and myself even though we both qualify for SSI. I pay for my gas and expenses myself. But not everyone can. I am lucky. This system is here for a reason. I have sat in hospital rooms with parents whose children need so much more than my child. Their expenses are through the roof. Some need care out of the country. That is not a reasonable expense. That is what the money is there for.  

Quoting angevil53:

If i have to take my son somewhere special i have to suck it up and pay for it. He's my kid and it's my job. No one else's!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

My parents did not get Medicaid for me and I don't get it for my son but we can both qualify for SSI. Yet we do not even apply. The gas expenses to get to the only testing facilities are through the roof. I have to drive to Boston not just down the road to a pediatrician. There is a three hour difference. Yes that gets taken into account. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

SSI for children is to pay for expenses that are past what a normal child would cost. Not every insurance will cover treatments, hospitalizations, copays, gas expenses, plane/train/bus tickets, etc. There are many times were families lose everything because their children get sick. This is why SSI is important. 

Quoting angevil53:

I hate the idea that parents get this for their children. It's supposed to be their jobs to pay for their kids. I'm not against medical at all but there's no reason to me that they need cash to pay for what they brought into the world.

They get Medicaid for that-the medical bills that insurance won't cover.  The gas? I don'tget to deduct the gas I use to take my kids to the Dr...if you are going to give them money for that-then it should be a tax deduction for everyone else!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

that's not true...there's plenty of parents who know before hand their child is special needs due to the testing done in utero....and they have the baby anyways, special needs and all.  

Quoting Caspriel:

Quoting angevil53:

I hate the idea that parents get this for their children. It's supposed to be their jobs to pay for their kids. I'm not against medical at all but there's no reason to me that they need cash to pay for what they brought into the world.

What if their child's disabilities kept the single parent at home to care for them?No one plans on bringing a disabled child into the world btw..

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
The equipment, like wheelchairs and bath seats, for children with special needs is pretty expensive too. Medicaid doesn't cover everything.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

SSI for children is to pay for expenses that are past what a normal child would cost. Not every insurance will cover treatments, hospitalizations, copays, gas expenses, plane/train/bus tickets, etc. There are many times were families lose everything because their children get sick. This is why SSI is important. 

Quoting angevil53:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Caspriel
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
The stupidity is strong in this thread. Hopefully you never have a special needs child and find out why you might need the help.smdh.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
What about parents that get it because one parent died?

From my understanding the child only gets what said dead parent have gotten when they retired.

Also from what I understand when children get it from disability it also depends on what the parents paid into SSI.

Quoting angevil53:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
It's not the governments fault why should they pay for it? And what makes your kids health more important than mine?

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have to drive cross country to get to the right doctor?  Spend weeks in a hospital 500 miles away from home, unable to work while your child gets treatment?

this isn't a quick stop at the local ped for a weight check.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Quoting angevil53:

They get Medicaid for that-the medical bills that insurance won't cover.  The gas? I don'tget to deduct the gas I use to take my kids to the Dr...if you are going to give them money for that-then it should be a tax deduction for everyone else!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Quoting miss_lisa:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Quoting angevil53:

It is a tax deduction so long as you spend enough of your money on it. Those with disabled children have the same qualification, if you spend a certain percentage of your income on medical expenses they are tax deductible.

There are things Medicaid won't cover because it is a state run insurance. I live in North Dakota, my best friends son has mitochondrial disease and severe food allergies. He spent almost a month in Denver in two different hospitals where they ran different tests for the allergies and sought out possible therapy options for him. North Dakota Medicaid would not cover the visit. Thankfully her family is more financially secure so the trip was still doable, but had they not been they would have had to rely on charity in order to make the trip which was absolutely necessary.

There are numerous expenses that even Medicaid and insurance won't cover with a disabled child, SSI helps with that.

Yes and the first 7.5  (and that is going up% you can't deduct.  That needs to change to make it more fair to the people like me who shell out 9 K a year.  And yes I know what it is like to have a kid in the hospital for weeks on end.  You figure it out. You have to-because you can't qualify for SSI.

miss_lisa
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Quoting angevil53:

So you're saying my one friend should have known her son was going to be born at 26 weeks? You're saying that my other friend should have known that she would be diagnosed with uterine cancer while pregnant with her son? Neither one of them get SSI but if they needed it I wouldn't fault them for using it. They are making trips at least once a month to different states for doctors appointments, numerous emergency room visits, equipment, specialized foods, etc. There's so much more to the cost of raising a disabled child outside of just medical expenses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN