Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

All this talk about welfare reform made me think of SSI , yet another welfare give away

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

That needs to be overhauled as well.  Too many using that system and they are nothing but drug addicts. I don't want to hear about your anxiety, many of us have that.  I don't care your ass hurts you, deal with it  I know somone on it for 20 yrs, because he has social issues.  BALONEY.  If I can get over my issues, so can you. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Replies (561-563):
ericahager2005
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Totally agree! I shop goodwill for clothes and call daily to see if they're doing bag sale or $ kids clothes today I scored about 6 pairs of rocawear jeans, one with price tag of $65 and a $24.99 dress shirt brand new with tags on it......$1.00 each.........I'm always getting compliments on their gorgeous clothes and I divulge my secret, either its goodwill, salvation army or other thrift store or hand me downs from a neighbor who worked at macy's kids dept her girls are one sz bigger then mine :) I donate or hand down when my kids outgrow it...

I tell people yes my kids can be a handful (esp if meds are late or in need of adjusting) but they're my handful and without them my hands are empty .... I had 4 miscarriages between ds and dd. I wouldn't change a thing....I try not to let their autism hold any of usback. I am as considerate as possible and handle meltdowns when we're out and if others don't like it, too bad. I apologize and explain and do my best to calm them quickly and quietly without giving in...too many parents give in quickly and that just makes meltdowns worse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Very well said Erica :),  I admire your stance..  Nobody gets rich on SSI, I buy second hand, use coupons and shop at the most cheap stores,     My sons disability prohibits me from doing certain enjoyable things in life, as much as I dislike the autsim, the one thing I would not change is my sons bubbly personality...I am sure any Mom's wish for her child is to be normal like other children, but for now,  its here to stay and we must carry on. 

Quoting ericahager2005:

NicAngelevil53, your original post said "I simply don't think getting cash to care for kids is ethical".

I'm actually glad op started the thread and you made that comment it gives parents of sn kids an oppurtunity to educate, inform and raise awareness. To qualify for ssi takes a ton of proof usually 3 or 4 appeals and case hearing by a judical officer....less then 50% are approved even then. Even less without a lawyer who takes 25% up to $6k plus records and forms cost, average time between filing and final judgement takes 3yrs! My case took 5 yrs, but judge decided that I only became fully disabled 2yrs ago.......when I was finally able to afford mri to prove how many slipped disks I have in my back and neck. And severe nerve impingement along with a slew of chronic illnesses brought on by lack of ability to exercise due to my back.

My ds has autism, asthma, encopresis, multiple food and med allergies dd has same issues with additional dx of epilepsey, 6 ear and adnoid surgeries by age 4, starting at 10m. Ear infection after ear infection as tubes moved. Her first diagnosed seizure was in 2009 at age 3 with a 7hr long tonic clonic aka grand mal seizure with2 days comatose after(thankfully no premanent damage that we know of as yet) but looking back they were going on well b4 that, she has "breakthrough seizure episodes" even with multiple meds......her seizures last 46 to 48 seconds, so technically by 12 seconds its a seizure episode (full. Dx seizure is 60 seconds).....they get more frequent if she is stressed, anxious, sick, asthma or allergies acting up or just having a growth spurt. Any given night I am checking her regularly dr calls it seizure watch, if I sense anything is up neuro has told me to let her cosleep with me so if needed I can spot it and call 911 or give diastat quickly. Advocating for my kids and caring for them is 24/7 literally. Think of a reg kid who is sick multiply that x 10 for some autistic kids not being able to tell you what's wrong, and because many have sensory issues the slightest touch to a normal person is excruciating pain for them. Google temple grandin and listen to her educational / advocacy talks about autism.

My kids neuro is a 1.5 hr drive each way without traffic, and she's the only one in our "area" haha that takes medicaid our old one was in miami 4 hr drive.....gas for those drives is around $50-60+ with my econobox of a car lol. Add 20 for tolls, 20 to 50 food eaten out, etc I usually pack a cooler.

For non disabled I agree it should be income based x% on x income.

To qualify for ssi you have to be at poverty line or below. My family of 3's income is under the poverty line for a family of 1......certainly no one getting rich here.......my goal is to keep mortgage, insurance, electric and water turned on and food in fridge/pantry. I don't have internet, home phone and only reason I have cable tv (basic) is its paid by condo assoc fees were on bulk acct. I coupon shop and teach others while at the store. If I have a coupon I won't use I give it away or put it on the shelf dd calls me coupon tinkerbell fairy....

Quoting angevil53:

I'm certainly not against anyone having proper care. I think medical is something that everyone should get maybe on a sliding scale etc.

Quoting ericahager2005:

Angel the amt ssi gives kids is barely a drop in a bucket to cover expenses....read up on it on socialsecurity.gov then tell me its unethical...its unethical and immorral not to get these kids proper care!

Quoting angevil53:

I know. I am blessed. Don't take my opinion as cash assistance=weakness. That's not my stance at all. One very close friend of mine has sn child and i know her strength is twice that of mine. Same with my aunt and my cousin. I'm sure it won't go anywhere. The government I'm sure knows more about needs of these families than i do from that standpoint.

Quoting Anonymous:

consider yourself blessed, I once had the happy home too, but that all changed in a matter of years...if the cash aspect of SSI was so wrong then it would not be instituted in the first place...its there.. and it isnt going anywhere..

Quoting angevil53:

Well my kids have everything they need and want. I can only imagine having a sn child. But the fact is i wouldn't qualify for any help so id have to make it work. Where did i say i wouldn't fight for my children? Where did i say i don't want sn children to have advocates and all things they need medically? No where. Some people do believe that. I'm not one of them. I simply don't think getting cash to care for kids under 18 is ethical.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ang Ang,  God entrusted us women with special needs children because we are strong and would fight for them, glad we are our kids Mothers and not YOU!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

oh my, I struck gold at the local Thrift shop, bought my son name brand jeans, and a name brand practically new coat,,,,both cost together under 4 bucks...  75% off day

Quoting ericahager2005:

Totally agree! I shop goodwill for clothes and call daily to see if they're doing bag sale or $ kids clothes today I scored about 6 pairs of rocawear jeans, one with price tag of $65 and a $24.99 dress shirt brand new with tags on it......$1.00 each.........I'm always getting compliments on their gorgeous clothes and I divulge my secret, either its goodwill, salvation army or other thrift store or hand me downs from a neighbor who worked at macy's kids dept her girls are one sz bigger then mine :) I donate or hand down when my kids outgrow it...

I tell people yes my kids can be a handful (esp if meds are late or in need of adjusting) but they're my handful and without them my hands are empty .... I had 4 miscarriages between ds and dd. I wouldn't change a thing....I try not to let their autism hold any of usback. I am as considerate as possible and handle meltdowns when we're out and if others don't like it, too bad. I apologize and explain and do my best to calm them quickly and quietly without giving in...too many parents give in quickly and that just makes meltdowns worse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Very well said Erica :),  I admire your stance..  Nobody gets rich on SSI, I buy second hand, use coupons and shop at the most cheap stores,     My sons disability prohibits me from doing certain enjoyable things in life, as much as I dislike the autsim, the one thing I would not change is my sons bubbly personality...I am sure any Mom's wish for her child is to be normal like other children, but for now,  its here to stay and we must carry on. 

Quoting ericahager2005:

NicAngelevil53, your original post said "I simply don't think getting cash to care for kids is ethical".

I'm actually glad op started the thread and you made that comment it gives parents of sn kids an oppurtunity to educate, inform and raise awareness. To qualify for ssi takes a ton of proof usually 3 or 4 appeals and case hearing by a judical officer....less then 50% are approved even then. Even less without a lawyer who takes 25% up to $6k plus records and forms cost, average time between filing and final judgement takes 3yrs! My case took 5 yrs, but judge decided that I only became fully disabled 2yrs ago.......when I was finally able to afford mri to prove how many slipped disks I have in my back and neck. And severe nerve impingement along with a slew of chronic illnesses brought on by lack of ability to exercise due to my back.

My ds has autism, asthma, encopresis, multiple food and med allergies dd has same issues with additional dx of epilepsey, 6 ear and adnoid surgeries by age 4, starting at 10m. Ear infection after ear infection as tubes moved. Her first diagnosed seizure was in 2009 at age 3 with a 7hr long tonic clonic aka grand mal seizure with2 days comatose after(thankfully no premanent damage that we know of as yet) but looking back they were going on well b4 that, she has "breakthrough seizure episodes" even with multiple meds......her seizures last 46 to 48 seconds, so technically by 12 seconds its a seizure episode (full. Dx seizure is 60 seconds).....they get more frequent if she is stressed, anxious, sick, asthma or allergies acting up or just having a growth spurt. Any given night I am checking her regularly dr calls it seizure watch, if I sense anything is up neuro has told me to let her cosleep with me so if needed I can spot it and call 911 or give diastat quickly. Advocating for my kids and caring for them is 24/7 literally. Think of a reg kid who is sick multiply that x 10 for some autistic kids not being able to tell you what's wrong, and because many have sensory issues the slightest touch to a normal person is excruciating pain for them. Google temple grandin and listen to her educational / advocacy talks about autism.

My kids neuro is a 1.5 hr drive each way without traffic, and she's the only one in our "area" haha that takes medicaid our old one was in miami 4 hr drive.....gas for those drives is around $50-60+ with my econobox of a car lol. Add 20 for tolls, 20 to 50 food eaten out, etc I usually pack a cooler.

To qualify for ssi you have to be at poverty line or below. My family of 3's income is under the poverty line for a family of 1......certainly no one getting rich here.......my goal is to keep mortgage, insurance, electric and water turned on and food in fridge/pantry. I don't have internet, home phone and only reason I have cable tv (basic) is its paid by condo assoc fees were on bulk acct. I coupon shop and teach others while at the store. If I have a coupon I won't use I give it away or put it on the shelf dd calls me coupon tinkerbell fairy....

Quoting angevil53:

I'm certainly not against anyone having proper care. I think medical is something that everyone should get maybe on a sliding scale etc.

Quoting ericahager2005:

Angel the amt ssi gives kids is barely a drop in a bucket to cover expenses....read up on it on socialsecurity.gov then tell me its unethical...its unethical and immorral not to get these kids proper care!

Quoting angevil53:

I know. I am blessed. Don't take my opinion as cash assistance=weakness. That's not my stance at all. One very close friend of mine has sn child and i know her strength is twice that of mine. Same with my aunt and my cousin. I'm sure it won't go anywhere. The government I'm sure knows more about needs of these families than i do from that standpoint.

Quoting Anonymous:

consider yourself blessed, I once had the happy home too, but that all changed in a matter of years...if the cash aspect of SSI was so wrong then it would not be instituted in the first place...its there.. and it isnt going anywhere..

Quoting angevil53:

Well my kids have everything they need and want. I can only imagine having a sn child. But the fact is i wouldn't qualify for any help so id have to make it work. Where did i say i wouldn't fight for my children? Where did i say i don't want sn children to have advocates and all things they need medically? No where. Some people do believe that. I'm not one of them. I simply don't think getting cash to care for kids under 18 is ethical.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ang Ang,  God entrusted us women with special needs children because we are strong and would fight for them, glad we are our kids Mothers and not YOU!!

ericahager2005
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I love the stuff a bag for $1.00 sales some stores here have.....today at walgreens picking up my rx generated $5 off 20 so I bought 5 packs of tp on sale that I had 1.00 off coupons for, so 8.99 tp came to $3.50 after coupons....I had to add 4th pkg to get total high enough.....this generates another q for $10 off 10 or more so I got my haircolor on clearance 3.49 with 2.00 of q.......a game kids wanted and angry birds backpack buddies that were reduced from 6.99 to 1.15, and a bunch of .25 face masks all organic......and 2 mom journals 1.25 each. 1 for me and another for bff having 2nd baby this wk....planned cs thurs but I doubt she will make it that far.......everything I bought kept generating coupons lol.

At lowes they had kids gardening tools for 21 cents reduced from 9.99 I got each of my kids garden gloves(princess & diego), dd got a dora watering can ds got gloves and shovel with diego got my nephew same set as ds.

Quoting ericahager2005:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ericahager2005:

Quoting angevil53:

Quoting ericahager2005:

Quoting angevil53:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting angevil53:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)