Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Eta..Omg! This homework situation is outta control!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 226 Replies
My daughter is in first grade...6 years old. Every week her teacher passes out homework packets. It's seems like each week she adds more assignments. This week she's sent home 5 homework packets with 5-6 pages each packet, with work on the front and back of each page. PLUS spelling word practice sheets and a new book to read every night. Isn't that a bit much for a first grader. I'm all for parent involvement. I think parents should be involved in the education of their kids. But she spends 7 hrs a day at school 5 days a week, PLUS a minimum of 2 hrs every afternoon on homework. Do they think that kids should do nothing but scholastic work all day every day???

Eta: I'm a little shocked at the amount of people who think that 7 pages of homework a night plus spelling words plus reading a book every day is normal for a first grader. It seems like way too much and brain overkill to me.

Eta 2: I totally forgot about sight words. She has a new set of those each week too.

Eta3: just to more specifically clarify this is the list of homework:
One packet is math drills. 50 problem addition and subtraction very night that I am suppose to time (4 mins) then grade. Questions unanswered are counted as wrong.
Two packets are reading stories. One packet for science, one for history. 2 stories per day...per packet...with 10 questions each (1 story and Q's on on side of the page 2nd story/Q's on back). Each story is 4 paragraphs of 5 sentences.
Another packet is a poetry packet. 4 different poems with a parent participation checklist... Have dd find all long vowels, short vowels, consonant blends, words that rhyme, nouns, verbs, adjectives, and words that are misspelled...they are the spelling words for the week and are to be corrected and written properly.
The last packet is a review packet for the pervious week's work.
Then write spelling words every night, read sight words every night, and read a book every night. These are not 5-10 minute books. Yesterday was disney's mulan.

This is every week since they returned from christmas break. Every Monday. All packets are due Friday. She isn't goofing off in class. She has never received a conduct mark. She has never missed a day of school, nor has she been tardy.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Bump
rennez
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that is absurd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM

That's pretty standard actually. My son is in kindergarten. He has a word study that has him sort words and write them out in a notebook as well as 5 spelling words that he must write sentences with. Those two things are handed out on Monday and they are due back Friday. He has two worksheets to complete a night, one that focuses on printing, the other on math. He has a word ring to study sight words nightly and is expected to read at least 15 minutes a day.

I thought it seemed like a lot, but once we got into a routine, it really doesn't take longer than 30 minutes. Good luck! =)

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

wow, my DS is in first grade and he gets a spelling assignment sent home on Monday that is due Friday and occasionally a worksheet or two.

His school has said if you are spending more than 20 minutes a night on homework to notify the teacher.

aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM

yeah my older son had that much too!! i was shocked, but i guess thats the way it is now.  at open house at the school, the teacher said that she expects the students and a parent to sit down and do homework for at least an hour a day!!!  it was so good for my son though. he was a little behind before he was in her class and now he is right on target b/c she reallypushed him academically. 

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM

holy cow, that sounds like a lot!  how long does it take her to do it?  my 1st grader is homeschooled & the homework packet sounds like the same amount of work we do on an average school day.  if it's taking longer than an hour, i would contact the teacher & see if that's her intent. 

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
DD is in 1st. She has 1-2 sheets a night plus reading. DS is in 4th and he has an insane amount of homework. I dread middle and high school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I thought so too. But how do I being it up to her teacher? He's the nicest lady war and I don't want to cause a problem for dd kwim?

Quoting rennez:

I think that is absurd
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I think its fine, our kids are getting dumber and kids in other countries are getting smarter. Obviously we are doing something wrong here.

wifeynmommie80
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

DS is in K4 and he gets homework packets sent home. its normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)