Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MRS. Degree

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
I got married during the first semester of my sophomore year of college.

At the time, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do career wise and was dabbling in some of my interests. When the semester (prior to my marriage) was over my graphics design teacher asked if I was taking his advanced course. While I still enjoyed graphic design, I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do in the future. I told him I was leaning in another direction and while I wouldn't mind taking his class as a fun elective, it wouldn't fit my schedule. I joked that between work, school, and my soon to be husband I was going to have a tight schedule. Before I could say anything else, the teacher exploded.

He said, "I never thought you would be one of THOSE girls. You have so much potential in graphic design - I can't believe you'd throw it all away for an MRS. Degree."

umm - what!

Honestly, I was pretty offended. I didn't drop out of school - in fact, I'm finishing my degree this year. I didn't get married to ride off my husband's income - I've always worked fulltime. Yes, I did have to have a tighter schedule in order to spend time with my husband and SS, but I don't feel that limited me.

What do you all think of 'MRS. Degrees'? I thought it was an archaic, somewhat sexist idea, but some people say it's actually still common. Do you know anyone that went to college for an MRS. Degree (ie: went to college to find a providing husband)? Have you ever heard of an MRS. Degree?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM
That's the exact reason my MIL went to college.. and she got one. LOL
notabosley
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I've heard of it, but honestly I don't understand how your professor could think that was your motivation. A Mrs. degree was usually pursued by ladies from upper middle class families. Nowadays who has the money or time for that. Archaic?, yes, unheard-of?, no. It's really funny if you examines his thinking. That professor is seriously out of touch. :-o
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this
That describes most of my sorority.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yeah, pretty much everyone I know! I'm from an affluent area where women just aren't expected to work. Some of my friends do work, but only because they want to. The rest of us have babies are work on being supermom:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I met many girls in college who were looking for their MRS,  you could see them constantly talking about the lack of quality men and that maybe they should change their major.  Also stereotypically any female who went for a psychology degree but didn't talk about a PhD was going for their MRS.  There were a few other degrees with similar thoughts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Never heard of it but that's an expensive way to find a husband.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
True, but I think the idea is that within a few semesters you'll find a college educated man, who will get a good job and pay off all the debt.

Quoting Anonymous:

Never heard of it but that's an expensive way to find a husband.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM
I was actually pretty shocked. He was a young, hip, artsy professor.

Quoting notabosley:

I've heard of it, but honestly I don't understand how your professor could think that was your motivation. A Mrs. degree was usually pursued by ladies from upper middle class families. Nowadays who has the money or time for that. Archaic?, yes, unheard-of?, no. It's really funny if you examines his thinking. That professor is seriously out of touch. :-o

klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:11 AM
Crap! Why didn't I think of that? I was too busy getting my education to be serious with a man. Does it bother you because its true that women do that or does it bother you because he judged you? Either way, he has no impact on your life, forget about it.
xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:13 AM
2 moms liked this
We joked about it with my sister because she's going to an engineering school where it's 70% boys... but they're basically a bunch of Sheldons LOL

But no- she's very smart and career driven.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured