Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tattoo care question

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 23 Replies

After the first 3 days of A&D and washing it 3 times a day, do I still wash it before lotion or do I just wash it once in the shower?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

bump

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Once it starts to scab, just washing in the shower should be fine. Let it breath without the A&D if you can help it. 

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quoting Stephd710:

Once it starts to scab, just washing in the shower should be fine. Let it breath without the A&D if you can help it. 

I'm past the A&D phase now. I was applying a super thin layer 3 times a day. It's not really scabbing, it just looks like dry flaky skin. Is that what you mean?

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

bump

Thanks!

aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

follow what they told you at the shop.  every artist will tell u something different.  each post on here will say to do something different, too.  

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Quoting aphrodite7400:

follow what they told you at the shop.  every artist will tell u something different.  each post on here will say to do something different, too.  

Their care instructions aren't very clear after the first 3 days. It just says to switch to lotion. Idk if that means keep washing and switch to lotion, or just start using lotion without washing. I'm sure I'm over thinking it too. lol 

aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

dont wash it.  just apply lotion when it gets dry looking.  (i have 6 tattoos and my hub has 10)

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting aphrodite7400:

Their care instructions aren't very clear after the first 3 days. It just says to switch to lotion. Idk if that means keep washing and switch to lotion, or just start using lotion without washing. I'm sure I'm over thinking it too. lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I don't think washing it 3x a day is necessary anymore. Just make sure it's clean and moisturized. I've always been told to avoid perfumed lotions on tattoos so use something natural.
betsyabel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Like someone else said, every person has heard something different from their artist. I've got 2 artists in two different states who both told me not to use A&D because it's too much moisture for a new tat...Anyway, after a few days I washed them once in the shower (carefully) and applied a light layer of lotion after that...no more lotion the rest of the day. All mine healed nicely and are still bright a few years later.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting aphrodite7400:

dont wash it.  just apply lotion when it gets dry looking.  (i have 6 tattoos and my hub has 10)

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting aphrodite7400:

K, thanks!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN