Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

s/o- More what?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 18 Replies

There is a post about "career SAHM" and part of the question was essentially "don't you want more?".  I have seen this in a lot of working vs stay home debates and it has always confused me.  Want more what? 

I am not looking to start a debate about working or staying at home, what is better etc.  I am a curious sort and am looking for real replies.  If you work and wonder if SAHM's want more, what more are you thinking about?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

More is a relative term, it could mean being financially independent, being part of a team, adult interaction, ect... 

mary841108
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM

is that it?

Quoting owl0210:

More is a relative term, it could mean being financially independent, being part of a team, adult interaction, ect... 

eztwins
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Okay.  The financial independance is something and can't be achieved without working but the others I don't see how it is exclusive to working.  Is there the assumption that SAHM actually just stay in the house lol.  I know its in the title but I can't imagine that people take it literally. :) 

Quoting owl0210:

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Funny I have all that.

Quoting owl0210:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I'm sure "more" can mean many things I was using a few examples. 

Quoting mary841108:

is that it?

Quoting owl0210:

hplesha
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM
First i thought it meant more kids. But then you would be starting over. For me, more would mean, more money. My aunt stays home while her kids are in school. They are in 5th and 7th grade. My uncle says there is no reason for her to get a job when what he makes pays the bills and is enough for them to go out and enjoy whatever. He also says she needs to be home for when they get sick at school or if they have half days. She could work at night, but my uncle doesn't do anything but laundry lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Self sufficiency.  And I kinda agree with it, but I AM a career sahm.  On the other hand, I had a career, for about 20 years before I became a sahm.  And I enjoyed it a great deal, even after having my first 2 kids.  But then things changed, and I became a sahm quite by circumstance (we moved for my husbands job, my job depended upon networking).  I found it was good for our family, and I also firmly believe that older kids need someone at home MORE than little ones.  Little ones have daycare - try that with a 16 year old!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Jelly beans. "More" always refers to jelly beans.

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Some people feel like they're missing out on something by "just" staying home with the kids. Others consider staying home a waste of a college degree or other talents.

I disagree - I have a degree and stay home with my boys and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything (although I do plan to go back to work after they both go to school full time).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM

some women arent fullfilled without having an outside job.  my friend is like that.  she loves her kids and family, but her job is very...... i dont know the word....  its something that some women could never understand only other women who are like that.  i am a sahm so i dotn really understand it myself but she enjoys working and it means a lot to her. like she has a purpose other than procreating/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)