Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Getting pretty fed up...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM
  • 24 Replies

with being a full-time manual labor employee while simultaneously being the only one to take care of our child and house. The only time I get help with such things is if I specifically ask for help with something. I never get an offer. I need to stop one of these things because it's like working three full-time jobs of equal physical strain. I'm about ready to just quit my job and be a SAHM, but we'd need FS until my SO makes enough to pay the bills, cover insurance, and feed our unique diets.

Before anyone starts telling me to suck it up. I'm a material handler. That's my job title. I spend 40 hours a week moving around crates, boxes, cases, large fabrication tool pieces, and industrial pumps. We have a forklift, but it's not always possible to use it. Some of the smallest boxes can weigh over 80lbs. It's doesn't sound like much until it's condensed into a 2x3x2 box. Add in going home to clean up after a puppy and cat, cook, and do laundry for a potty training toddler. Now on top of that I do nearly all of the feeding, entertaining, and disciplining for my son when he's not in daycare.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM

You sound tired. Time to sit DH down and tell him that you NEED help. And not just when you ask. Perhaps alternating nihts each of you cook etc.

27yomomof4
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Dh doesnt help at all unless you ask?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Kick him in the ass!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM

you need to delgate and sit down with your husband and split up the household chores. What you will do and what he has to do.

NiCo86
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You need to tell the man in your life to get off his ass!

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I know this sounds sexist...but I'd be damned if I'm doing the manual labor and SO isn't!  I was a construction worker for three years, so I feel your pain, but honestly the money made it worth doing the dirty work.  I was single then though, and had to do what I had to do to support my household...these days, I'm not even taking out the trash...SO better handle that.  No way, you should be working that hard at work, to come home and work just as hard.

gdsTX
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

That's actually the only thing he offers to do. He'll make pancakes on weekends about every other week and sometimes fry up sausage for spaghetti. I just wish he would help out with cleaning and watching DS while I play a game or read a book or take a shower. My son doesn't really need naps anymore, but he still gets put down for one (whether he sleeps or not) just so I can have some time to do things during the day.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

You sound tired. Time to sit DH down and tell him that you NEED help. And not just when you ask. Perhaps alternating nihts each of you cook etc.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Tell him to do his share or gtfo. My mom worked manual labor, as a single mom of 3 (at home, 3 more were adults) and did everything on her own. She was in her 40s at the time. It was hard for her. I hope you get some help soon.

gdsTX
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM

We do similar work. The only difference is that he works the warehouse/stockroom side and I work the shipping/receiving side at different buildings. He's just as tired and worn out as I am every day. He does need to help out at home, though.

Quoting jenmomx3:

I know this sounds sexist...but I'd be damned if I'm doing the manual labor and SO isn't!  I was a construction worker for three years, so I feel your pain, but honestly the money made it worth doing the dirty work.  I was single then though, and had to do what I had to do to support my household...these days, I'm not even taking out the trash...SO better handle that.  No way, you should be working that hard at work, to come home and work just as hard.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Tell him that he needs to help more or you're done. What's this unique diet you speak of?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)