Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gay Rights Should Not 'Trump the Rights of Christians' to Not See Gays

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Opinions on this?

Mefferd: Gay Rights Should Not 'Trump the Rights of Christians' to Not See Gays (UPDATED)
SUBMITTED BY Brian Tashman on Friday, 2/15/2013 4:35 pm
Conservative talk show host Janet Mefferd this week waded into the controversy about an Indiana high school where a group of students wanted to organize a separate prom that would specifically prevent gay and lesbian students from attending.

After lamenting that “public schools are morally bankrupt,” Mefferd asserted that proms which allow all students — gay or straight — to attend actually violate the rights of Christian students who disapprove of homosexuality.

What right in particular, you might ask?

According to Mefferd, apparently the right of students not to even see gay people!

She maintained that the students’ desire not to see gay students outweighs the rights of gay students to attend their own prom.

“Why should the rights of the [gay] activists trump the rights of Christians” who don’t want “to see that,” Mefferd asked.

Mefferd: Everything is so upside down in our society now and right and wrong have completely switched where what is really wrong is to say you shouldn’t have two boys allowed to go to the high school prom. Now we can get into a big issue of the public schools are morally bankrupt at this point and we all ought to exit and just let them, let them do their thing, and that may be the ultimate answer; on the other hand, I feel for these Christian kids who are in a prom or kids who are at this high school who say, ‘you know something, do we have to go down this road?’ Whether the homosexual activists like it or not, and I know this isn’t politically correct to say this, but not everybody wants to see that. I know that that’s offensive to the activist crowd, they want us all to see it, they want us all to approve of it, they want us all to call it blessed and okay and rejoice and have parties and throw confetti in the air over this whole thing. But the fact of the matter is it’s a moral issue. You will always have Christians who will disagree with this and why should the rights of the activists trump the rights of Christians?
Update 2/20: Mefferd spent a good part of the weekend tweeting at us, and a good portion of her show yesterday railing against us, claiming that we had "libeled" her with this post. Today, we received a letter [PDF] from her attorneys demanding that we remove this post and asserting that even though we had quoted her verbatim, we had misrepresented her views.

According to this letter, Mefferd claims that she was merely saying that some people object to seeing gay couples at prom, not that Christians have a right not to see gay people in general:

Ms. Mefferd’s comment, in discussing a controversy in an Indiana high school about attendance by homosexual couples at a high school prom, was that ‘not everybody wants to see that.’ (emphasis added). Ms. Mefferd was not making a statement about homosexual people, or any other people for that matter, when making that statement, as Ms. Mefferd would have said ‘not everybody wants to see them.’ Mefferd’s statement was about the inclusion of homosexual couples at a high school prom, and made a factual statement that ‘not everybody wants to see that.’
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
softkitty42
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM

in thought this is why we  had private schools?

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Quoting Oceana09:

Isn't it somewhere in the bill of rights that we all have the right to love and happiness? Just curious

It is one of the inalienable rights.

Don't sweat the petty things;Don't pet the sweaty things!

Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I'm a Christian and I think she is a complete jack ass.She meant what she said and is now trying to back pedal.She needs to get over herself if they don't want to see it than there is a simple solution don't go.

MrsBridges19
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Gays are required to wear a sign showing that they are sinful.  I'm surprised you didn't hear about that law. </sarcasm>  XD

Quoting HistoryNutty:

That's just stupid. How can they tell someone is gay when they're out in public by themselves? I mean seriously, it's just so stupid.

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM
3 moms liked this

KTU
by Kim on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM

That's not true. There have been plenty of instances where prayer/religion symbols/etc have been removed from public places to honor others rights.

Quoting wkukid:

We don't have rights, only Christians do.

Quoting KristenFowles:

I'd prefer to not ever see fundamentalists.. where's my right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Because its not GAY rights, its not CHRISTIAN rights,its not BLACK rights,  its HUMAN rights, and ALL humans deserve the same rights. The right to vote, the right to an education, the rights to get married, the rights to GO TO THEIR OWN PROM!! Everyone deserves the same rights as everyone else whether black, white, green, purple, straight, gay, bi, transsexual, Christian, Buddhist, or pickle lovers! We are all humans, we are all the same and we all deserve to be treated just like that, like a HUMAN, no one better than anyone else in this world, we are all exactly the same!

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Continue reading on.

Quoting KTU:

That's not true. There have been plenty of instances where prayer/religion symbols/etc have been removed from public places to honor others rights.

Quoting wkukid:

We don't have rights, only Christians do.

Quoting KristenFowles:

I'd prefer to not ever see fundamentalists.. where's my right?

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a shame that every day normal Christians get a bad name because of the few nut jobs out there who are vocal and want to speak for the masses. I am not Christian, but I still think lumping every Christian together is not right.

Public schools cannot discriminate based on all protected statuses, the same as an employer. So, attempting to keep gay students out of the prom violates their civil rights. Not only that, but directly violates the idea of separation of church and state. The school is state run, and they are using religion as a basis for their discrimination.

If I didn't like something going on at my sons' public school I would remove them from the school and either send them to a private school or homeschool. It's that simple.

supercarp
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

The only way you're going to "see that" is if you go around breaking into bedrooms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)