Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you don't have life insurance......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this
You should get some. Really .... why would people spend money on cars, clothes and other "stuff" and not financial planning??? A secret for you all, in case you didn't know ... we are all going to die at some point!!

I went to a co-worker's funeral today. She was 43. She did not have life insurance. When she thought about getting some, it was too expensive then, turned out impossible because she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Well, her family did direct cremation because that's what they could afford. BUT, now her best friend indicated there are medical bills that need to be paid............... they wanted to so a collection ... they are scrounging up money.

Life insurance is for ur family members that survive. .. to help pay the bills.... not for them to go in debt for you. What could have been a simple decision of purchasing obituaries of $300 was a big issue because if this....This should be put on people's priority lists....... just saying ........
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree. I look at it this way. If something happens to me, my child will be taken care of. I need to know that my mom would have enough money to bury me and to take care of my child.

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. We've had life insurance as long as we've been married. (almost 30 yrs) My husband's policy is bigger than mine but he has one for me too. And of course Im the beneficiary of his.

Thankfully my parents had it too so it wasnt a huge financial deal when my dad died. And my mom has already prepaid her funeral for when the time comes.

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
How sad.

I've had life insurance for as long as I can remember. I still have the policy my parents purchased, plus what I've bought as an adult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I'll be dead what do I give a shit for? LOL

mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM

We have it, we don't need it though. Some people are financially secure enough to not need it... but yeah, we have it because it's free money if one of us was to die. 

redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I have to get mine set back up because we hit a hard financial spot and had to cancel it. It really sucks when 12 dollars a month makes a difference but it did at that point. But hubby has some through work (army) but cant get any other for a few more years because he had cancer in his arm 2 years ago and they want at least 5 years cancer free. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM
I keep meaning to get some, but I'm 22 and a SAHM so my dh isn't interested.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I agree.  I've always had $25,000 through my employer and since I had my first kid, 16 years ago, I've maintained a $500,000 policy on myself.  I cannot imagine dying and leaving my two kids with nothing.  And my husband has more than twice that for me and another policy for the kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM
That's what my MIL has done .. prepaid for it ... i have learned so many things abiut our state laws here in Florida, that has to do with when you die ..... I'm thinking abiut doing that, even though me and DH have 2
policies each ...

Quoting auntietotty:

I agree. We've had life insurance as long as we've been married. (almost 30 yrs) My husband's policy is bigger than mine but he has one for me too. And of course Im the beneficiary of his.

Thankfully my parents had it too so it wasnt a huge financial deal when my dad died. And my mom has already prepaid her funeral for when the time comes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM
We're financially secure as well but. ... like i tell my children, if you have money, achieving your goals are so much easier.... they will inherit our real estate homes and lots more but that is what we have planned for... the life insurance can cover "medical bills" that may need to be covered if our death was caused in an accident or someone else's .... so they are not sued ... it is good money to have.... if utilized correctly.

Quoting mom2theA-team:

We have it, we don't need it though. Some people are financially secure enough to not need it... but yeah, we have it because it's free money if one of us was to die. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)