Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can my son catch chicken pox???

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 129 Replies
1 mom liked this

Odd question I know but I would rather him get them naturally if it's done by an acceptable age. I am just not sure where in the world he can get them?

I don't want him coming down at age 30, so I feel I either make sure he gets them young or I need to vax..

What do you think?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

um, that is what the vax is for.  You can still catch them with the vax but it is not as bad.  I had a mom that forced us to get them when a cousin caught them.  We spent the week with her and had to drink after her and take baths with her.

I was 7 and remember it and still have scars on my arm.  I would NEVER do that to my kid on purpose.  

Pnukey
by Jenn on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Find a pox party in your area. It is pretty common.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

If the virus gets into their systems, they're at a bigger risk for shingles later in life.

angie729
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I say get the vax. My son almost died of chicken pox when he was 2. He started running fever again and I called the dr they said oh its normal. Well it continued and he was not eating and barely drinking anything. I called them back and they told me the same thing. So I just took him up to the dr office. The dr admitted him to the hospital and he was put on iv antibiotics. He had one abscessing in his chest. The dr said that he would have been gone within 24 hours had I not taken him in when I did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Some people try looking on facebook.  

Do a search for "New York City" chicken pox party.

I just went on facebook and typed "chicken pox party" and got a link for the midwest.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I had the chicken pox when I was 7.  I barely remember it - no fever, few pox.....CP is benign in most kids.  2/3 kids had chicken pox - all had mild cases.  It is not typically a big deal.  

Quoting Anonymous:

um, that is what the vax is for.  You can still catch them with the vax but it is not as bad.  I had a mom that forced us to get them when a cousin caught them.  We spent the week with her and had to drink after her and take baths with her.

I was 7 and remember it and still have scars on my arm.  I would NEVER do that to my kid on purpose.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Omg.  I've seen terrible things happen to children with chicken pox, including death.  I could never purposely expose my kid to a communicable disease.  That's crazy.  IMO of course.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I agree with a pp that most cases are benign.  However, that is not always the case and yes there can be serious complications.  Rare, but can happen.  

me-n-mygirls
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM
my mom did that to me when I was little. turns out I was too little and caught them agian when I was older and in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM
3 moms liked this

There's actually a greater risk of shingles later in life from the vaccine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If the virus gets into their systems, they're at a bigger risk for shingles later in life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured