Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you like your kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have an older child (8) and baby (5 mo). I don't like my son. He's mean, bossy, defiant, annoying, and extremely whiney. He's gotten so much worse since his sister was born. He gets tons if attention from me and everybody and has every game and toy available! He tells me he's going to bed at 8:30, I say no bed time is 8. He argues with me and balls his fists. I ask him to brush his teeth he says no. I te him he has to and when he finaly goes to do it, he tries to stare me down as he walks by! I ask him what's wrong he says he doesn't know. He says I don't love him. I'm at my wits end. I'm so angry and annoyed with him that I don't even like him a y more. I love him but this is ridiculous. No judging or bashing please. I need good helpful advice. Could all thus be from a new baby? He's been only child for 8 years...

UPDATE: this morning he came to me very remorseful and hugged me tight and said he's sorry and he loves me very much. And also can he still go to soccer practice? Lol SMH

I also looked into that ODD and it sounds like him. I'm booking an appt. with a child councilor. Thank you all fir your comments and suggestions, and helping me feel not so hopeless.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Thank you so much. I'm crying right now.

Quoting 2pittsburghboys:

I would say yes its part baby and part age. I have an 7 yr old DS and an almost 9 yr old DS and they love to test you. If you can get someone to arch DD and do some one on one time with DS. I do that with my kids and it makes a huge difference. Also limit the games and remember your time is more important than all the games and toys in the world. I know its hard with a new baby...I have 3 boys and when the youngest came along it threw a wrench in the older boys lives. I know you love I'm and you are stresses with his behavior. Just take a deep breath and remember this will eventually get better :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

He seems really angry, at 8 he's already balling his fists and giving you the stare down. If this continues he's going to end up coming at you, can you imagine the teen years? Have you talked to his doctor about this? Have you ever talked to him about his unacceptable behavior (the stare downs/fists)?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Have him tested for ODD Oppositional Defiant Disorder and this is very real

pampire
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

It may be partly the new baby, partly just an age thing, trying to push limits and test boundaries.

I like my godson - he's only 3.  I'm sure as he gets older there will be times we don't like him.  Heck, I've known his dad over 20 years and don't really "like" him.  I've just gotten used to him!  SKid is 17...almost 18 and very like his dad.  So, no, I don't always like him..or at least,  don't always like the way he acts or the choices he makes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Yes, he was a little bratty and bossy before, but now nobody can stand to be around him. My heart is aching and I feel like it's my fault. I hate all the yelling around dd too.

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

Did all of this behavior start after having the baby?

piesmama09
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I really do like her, she's 8 and she's awesome. I have a hard time dealing with other people's kids when they are really hyper, etc. because mine is really calm and analytical i.e. easy to get along with!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

This 100%. Your son is going to grow up beating the shit out of you if something doesn't change soon. 

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Ok so there has been no consistency. He probably views you as the "Bad guy", which explains the attitude. Your husband needs to be the one to toughen up. Both of you sit down, talk and make the change together. Be consistent in your discipline methods.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do things with him often, just the two if us. His dad does also. My husband spoils him horribly because he had nothing growing up. It's an awful excuse. How can I turn it around?

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Has this been a recent change? If so it could be jealousy from the baby.

Perhaps do something special with just him. As far as the defiant behavior, what consequences are you giving when he disobeys? Even when he's doing his chore but giving attitude, my DD would have a consequence for that. Momma doesn't accept attitude. I'd make her apologize.

redbutterfly666
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

i love him to death and i'll never stop loving him....but i dont always like him lol

PEEK05
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Yes, I love all three of mine.

Oddy_Knocky
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I have two kids. I love them with my whole heart but there are many days that I don't like the person my 18yr old is. It'll get better but I'm getting tired of waiting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)