Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gparents-how far is too far?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Most grandparents spoil the grand kids. Okay that's all good and well, but how far is too far when it comes to the kids?
My parents are constantly going behind my back and doing things.
1)I don't feed my kids red meat. Personal choice.
EVERY time they visit nana and poppa? They have cheeseburgers ... Then I am the one dealing with upset tummies for 3 days when they come home.
2)my youngest is 3 mo. I am choosing not to feed him baby food until 6 months. I went to pick the kids up the other day, opened the fridge to get a water, and there in front of me were 5 jars opened baby food all different types... They didn't even follow the guidelines of one frut or veg at a time. So if he came home and had a severe allergic reaction? I wouldn't have known why.
3) I will sen the kids in one outfit, then see pics of them from that day, in a completely different outfit. That's just weird to me?
4) thy have re named all my kids. My sons "nickname" sounds completely like a girls name and he hates it. They refuse to call him by his name.
5) my mother has decided it would be 'cool' if my kids called HER mom too! Uhm WTF seriously...
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Replies (91-100):
robyann
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I am a grandparent. I see this so much, the grandparents ignoring what thier child wants for the kids. I make it a point to consider my place. I respect what the mother/father chooses. Even if it is something I would not choose, as long as I don't feel it can really harm the child. If I feel they are doing or not doing something that could really hurt the baby, then I'll speak up and explain how I feel. Most things they decide are fine, some of them, I feel don't really matter one way or the other. So why not just go with what they want. 

Even though sometimes I get "too close" to my gkids, and even sometimes think I would make other choices for them, I hold myself back, my child and/or inlaws have the right to experience being the parent, to research and make decisions on things they feel are important. 

Rhodin
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM

You know, I wouldn't even allow supervised visits.  Just tell them, follow the rules or no more grandkids.  Ever.  Full stop.  Really, if they don't respect your rules now, it'll only get worse.  And teenagers can come up with much worse thngs to bum off Grandma than baby food or red meat.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:22 AM

You need to tell her to back off NOW. It will only get worse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most grandparents spoil the grand kids. Okay that's all good and well, but how far is too far when it comes to the kids?
EVERY time they visit nana and poppa? They have cheeseburgers ... Then I am the one dealing with upset tummies for 3 days when they come home. I HATE THIS! My son can't have beef either. He literally puked for a month last time he ate beef. My mother swears I should keep feeding it ot him so he can get used to it... Umm. NO! WTF.
2)my youngest is 3 mo. I am choosing not to feed him baby food until 6 months. I went to pick the kids up the other day, opened the fridge to get a water, and there in front of me were 5 jars opened baby food all different types... They didn't even follow the guidelines of one frut or veg at a time. So if he came home and had a severe allergic reaction? I wouldn't have known why.
3) I will sen the kids in one outfit, then see pics of them from that day, in a completely different outfit. That's just weird to me?
4) thy have re named all my kids. My sons "nickname" sounds completely like a girls name and he hates it. They refuse to call him by his name.
5) my mother has decided it would be 'cool' if my kids called HER mom too! Uhm WTF seriously...

Eliots_momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I would be really upset esp about the food. I wouldn't let the kids stay over there for a long time only supervised visits
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM
They've crossed the line. Time to push them back over it. I would tell them no more visits without you there. I think your parents have some serious issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM

My parents say the SAME THING. So annoying...

Quoting LyTe684:

You need to tell her to back off NOW. It will only get worse.

Quoting Anonymous:

EVERY time they visit nana and poppa? They have cheeseburgers ... Then I am the one dealing with upset tummies for 3 days when they come home. I HATE THIS! My son can't have beef either. He literally puked for a month last time he ate beef. My mother swears I should keep feeding it ot him so he can get used to it... Umm. NO! WTF.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

My mother cut my son's hair after I told her she couldn't.  I didn't see her for 3 years after that.  I just don't deal with disrespectful nonsense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Supervised visits until they respect you and your rules.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

They wouldn't be visiting gma's and gpa's without me under those circumstances.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Yea my kids wouldn't be visiting them. At least not alone.. I don't allow my parents to watch my kids, but other reasons also factor into that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured