Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

More Info: Edit: GFs and Fiances who call themselves "Wives"?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 215 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think it's okay for a girlfriend or fiance to call themselves their partners wife?

Options:

Yes

No

NOOOO!

Not a big deal...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 345

View Results

More Info: For those who asked about age and their relationship. He is 23, she is 19 1/2. They met online and then on her 18th birthday he went and met her family, after which she came back to our state with him. Since he picked her up they have both worn wedding bands, and 6 months after she came to the state she started calling herself his wife, and changed her fb last name to match his. 

EDIT: Just to clarify my state does not have common-law marriage. I do think if you have been together for the requirements of the common law then it is fine to call yourself their wife :)

My "sister-in-law" has been with my BIL for almost 2 years, and has called herself his wife since they had been dating 6 months.

Just curious how common this is. My BIL's girlfriend/fiance constantly signs her fb posts with his last name and when she meets family/family friends she introduces herself as his wife....though they all know she is not. 

Though I do not think this is morally wrong, it's a little irritating for me because I helped her put a whole wedding together, helped with dresses, put up with drama....to have them say they don't have enought money for a wedding right now so they would get married later... THEN they went and bought a new four wheeler, tickets to disney land, and what-not....

It's just my opinion but I think you should be what you are....there's nothing wrong with being someone's fiance, girlfriend, or wife but I think it's kinda lying to say otherwise.

Just curious what other people think. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Does your state recgonizes common-law marriages?

My "husband" and I are common-law. We've been in a serious, committed relationship for over 25 years. I introduce him as my husband at work-functions. It's easier to explain than "this is my boyfriend of 25 years even though I am almost 50." Lol.

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree, you should be what you are. I simply don't agree that other people have a right to define 'your' relationship. If they live a married lifestyle I see no reason why they shouldn't use spousal terms. Marriage is more than a legal commitment and can very well be had w/o legal intervention.

paigesmommy5264
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I only ever call myself what I am.. his fiancée the worst I'd hearing someone say they're the "wifey"... no you're really just a gf .. grr.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Okay i should have clarified this. I think it's different if you have common-law marriage. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

My "husband" and I are common-law. We've been in a serious, committed relationship for over 25 years. I introduce him as my husband at work-functions. It's easier to explain than "this is my boyfriend of 25 years even though I am almost 50." Lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Lol. Well, my state doesn't recognize common-law marriages.

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay i should have clarified this. I think it's different if you have common-law marriage. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Eh.....whatever. Lol. I don't refer to myself as s/o's wife, but neither of us corrects people who assume we are married. My BFF calls me his wife though....mainly to fuck around with her little bro(s/o).
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM
We call each other DF because we aren't married.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM

lol my state does not either. 25 years of a committed relationship does sound a lot like a marriage to me. My "sis-in-law" has only been with my BIL for almost 2 years, and she started calling herself his wife at 6 months and they have both been wearing wedding bands since 3 months? Not sure how that makes sense...but anyways. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. Well, my state doesn't recognize common-law marriages.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM
4 moms liked this

A girlfriend or fiance calling themselves wife pisses me off and it takes away from the real value of marriage . Save the term husband /wife  for "marriages " that will actually hold up in a court of law . 

proudmommy03457
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I find it pretty annoying personally. I don't see anything wrong with being someones gf or fiancé. I know a few people who a month after "dating" started using their boyfriends last name and calling their selves "wife" I just want to scream"NO YOU'RE NOT" of course I don't because it's none of my business.

Just want to add I am legally and very happily married to my husband/best friend and never claimed to be the two yrs before we married.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)