Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

race IS important in adoption??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

We have been discussing adopting from foster care for several years now and are thinking the near future may be the right time to get serious about the process.

How important is it to keep the racial lines clear (a white fam not adopting a black child)? And why is it more okay for a white family to adopt a child of Asian or Hispanic backgrounds?? I feel like if the family is a good fit for the child then race doesn't matter, but DH says that's too naive. We live in Small Town, USA in the midwest so that info may be important.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a lovely little girl in my daughters ballet class adopted from Ethipia, they are adopting another from there as well and the mom at least is Caucasian. Lovely mom, daughter and I'm sure father... I don't care about racial lines but I am white. 

EvilQueenMommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I don't think it matters, but I live in a pretty diverse area

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I would love to foster or adopt. For me, race isn't important. A child is a child and I don't see how color makes a difference.

ATALHEA
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Race is not important at all! We adopted from foster care. we were a wite family with 2 white kids. We adopted another white daughter and 2 biracial sisters. And we live in a very small city. Who care what others think
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Well my children are of mixed race, so of course it doesn't matter to me. Like you, I think that all that *should* matter is how well the family fits together. BUT, I have heard some pretty fair arguments. If you're adopting outside of your race, you'll want to make sure there are resources within the community so that they can still learn about and feel close to their culture. When you biologically have a mixed race child, its already pretty much a given that they'll have ties to their culture. Its not so much the case in adoption.

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this

My white, red haired, blind in one eye (literally) brother in law is the proud father of two biracial children.  He lives in a small town in NC.  His wife is also white.  Southern accent and all.

If there are racial lines when it comes to adoption, they should be erased.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

aandt1999
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM

What to you mean? It means absolutely nothing. It is your business, and your family. Why would you give a rat's ass what other people think?

disneyrose
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM

A Native American Child needs to be only with an Native American family

risaspieces
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Race isn't important, but I think it's a good idea to teach the child about their heritage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM
We thought of adopting outside our race but were worried that our inlaws wouldnt be accepting. We didn't think it was fair to bring a child into that situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)