Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Calling all creative, crafty, frugal, momma's who want to help me decorate

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is 5 years old. He has this insane obsession with The Titanic. Here we are 8 months later, he's still obsessed! Trust me when I say you will never meet a child with as much knowledge about the Titanic as this kid. He can tell you that the last person off the boat, how many people survived, how many passengers on the boat, how many passangers the life boats could hold, which life boat fell into the water, what every room on the Titanic was used for, where each room was located, the exact spot the titanic cracked in half -- LOL okay, you get, I'm bragging. He's just so smart.

Anyways, I told him that when we move if he still wanted a Titanic bedroom, he could have it. Well open mouth insert foot - how the hell do you decorate a room in a Titanic theme. Well - it's really hard and google and pinterest haven't been very much help.

So here's what I got

Painting the walls red, black and white like the Titanic. Painting portal windows on the wall. Painting replicas of the Titanic life preservers on the walls

I had some pictures printed and framed to put on the walls

Then I decided that I needed to incorporate boats in general if I was going to make this room happen on a budget

So I ordered these anchor shaped coat hooks on amazon - So cute.

I also ordered a boat steering wheel that you mount to the wall and some fishing net to hang in the corner with all his stuffed animals

I am looking for aquatic animal window decals for the windows

So ladies - any Titanic decorating ideas? or Boat decorating ideas?

I cannot afford to replace furniture, when his is in great shape - so no new bed, dresser, bedside tables or book shelves although I'm contemplating having my dad ( awesome artist and handy man ) help me sand everything down and paint it all black to match the color scheme. It's oak right now. He already has red bedding and red storage containers ( thank God for the Lightening McQueen stage lol )

We're trying to do this on 200 dollars or less

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Depending on how big the room is, you're looking at 50-100 bucks for the paint... :/

Maybe some cool antique brass fixtures on his dresser, door, etc. for a small accent?
You can just spray paint them as long as you primer first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
....ClvrScn.
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Oh that's a good one - we actually have a closeout store here, Marc's, that always has cheap hardware for dressers and such! THank you!!!!

Paint isn't going to cost that much though. We are really lucky. There'a a Sherwin Williams warehouse here, that only sells "oops" paint. It's when they mix up a color and it's the wrong shade, or someone decided they don't want it. A gallon is just 5 bucks.

Since it's a 5 year olds room and I'm not too picky on the shade, I'm positive that we will find the colors. THis place is huge!! We have two months still until we move, so plenty of time to watch the place for the colors we need =)

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Depending on how big the room is, you're looking at 50-100 bucks for the paint... :/

Maybe some cool antique brass fixtures on his dresser, door, etc. for a small accent?

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM
That's awesome. I'm jealous. I spent over 200 dollars for paint to do the kitchen, hallway, and living room :(

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Oh that's a good one - we actually have a closeout store here, Marc's, that always has cheap hardware for dressers and such! THank you!!!!

Paint isn't going to cost that much though. We are really lucky. There'a a Sherwin Williams warehouse here, that only sells "oops" paint. It's when they mix up a color and it's the wrong shade, or someone decided they don't want it. A gallon is just 5 bucks.

Since it's a 5 year olds room and I'm not too picky on the shade, I'm positive that we will find the colors. THis place is huge!! We have two months still until we move, so plenty of time to watch the place for the colors we need =)

Quoting dawnnamarie:

waffa
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

funny you should mention Titanic tonight; my dd came home with her book order for the month today and there is a Titanic model in it she wants! here's the info on it:

it's a 32 page book with a non-glue press out model (9x12) for $11.99 on scholastic.com (ages 8+)

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

My son is 5 years old. He has this insane obsession with The Titanic. Here we are 8 months later, he's still obsessed! Trust me when I say you will never meet a child with as much knowledge about the Titanic as this kid. He can tell you that the last person off the boat, how many people survived, how many passengers on the boat, how many passangers the life boats could hold, which life boat fell into the water, what every room on the Titanic was used for, where each room was located, the exact spot the titanic cracked in half -- LOL okay, you get, I'm bragging. He's just so smart.

Anyways, I told him that when we move if he still wanted a Titanic bedroom, he could have it. Well open mouth insert foot - how the hell do you decorate a room in a Titanic theme. Well - it's really hard and google and pinterest haven't been very much help.

So here's what I got

Painting the walls red, black and white like the Titanic. Painting portal windows on the wall. Painting replicas of the Titanic life preservers on the walls

Then I decided that I needed to incorporate boats in general if I was going to make this room happen on a budget

I also ordered a boat steering wheel that you mount to the wall and some fishing net to hang in the corner with all his stuffed animals

I cannot afford to replace furniture, when his is in great shape - so no new bed, dresser, bedside tables or book shelves although I'm contemplating having my dad ( awesome artist and handy man ) help me sand everything down and paint it all black to match the color scheme. It's oak right now. He already has red bedding and red storage containers ( thank God for the Lightening McQueen stage lol )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beware! Thar be trolls in these here threads. wink

....ClvrScn.
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG That's crazy. I am now feeling extra lucky. One thing I love about living right outside the main city - there is a store for EVERYTHING.

My brother in law built home for a long time, and knows all the cheapest places to go for supplies.

We never painted our current apartment, we knew we weren't staying here. So the walls are ugly green and orange - I have an orange kitchen BLAH - but it was a cheap starter apartment for us, when we first moved in together. So I'm excited to be moving into a house, where I can make it a home!

Quoting dawnnamarie:

That's awesome. I'm jealous. I spent over 200 dollars for paint to do the kitchen, hallway, and living room :(

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Quoting dawnnamarie:

....ClvrScn.
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You dear - you are my hero! This kid has been begging for a Titanic model. I haven't had the chance to search for one online, but let me tell you, stores do not carry them.

I'm hoping that Titanic merchandise will become a bigger market, with them starting construction on the Titanic II

We have read every book our library system offers about the Titanic, watched every documentary we can get our hands on, I have not one, not two, but three Titanic apps on my tablet for this kid.

Quoting waffa:

funny you should mention Titanic tonight; my dd came home with her book order for the month today and there is a Titanic model in it she wants! here's the info on it:

it's a 32 page book with a non-glue press out model (9x12) for $11.99 on scholastic.com (ages 8+)

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

So here's what I got

waffa
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

wink

I normally wouldn't even read a craft post since I am not a craft-type person, so this must have been supposed to happen.

good luck on it, sounds like you are headed in the right direction momma. bet he'll love it!!!!!

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

You dear - you are my hero! This kid has been begging for a Titanic model. I haven't had the chance to search for one online, but let me tell you, stores do not carry them.

I'm hoping that Titanic merchandise will become a bigger market, with them starting construction on the Titanic II

We have read every book our library system offers about the Titanic, watched every documentary we can get our hands on, I have not one, not two, but three Titanic apps on my tablet for this kid.

Quoting waffa:

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

So here's what I got

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beware! Thar be trolls in these here threads. wink

Katenemsmom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:57 PM
It sounds great so far.
....ClvrScn.
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Thanks ladies I am so excited to do this room for him.

My stepdaughter wants a "pink girly hearts red fuzzy room" - She is also 5. Walmart Valentines clearance was amazing!! So many decortations, from vases, to vase filler, to wall signs, paper lanterns, window decals, even throw pillows, wooder heart " flowers" for the vase, an awesome pink pirate chest toy box on clearance sale,a heart shaped piggy bank, an alarm clock I found brand new pink "black out" curtains at the thrift store, still in the packaging for 5 bucks. THe dollar store carries heart shaped tap lights, I am mounting to her wall in a pretty pattern, and pinterest has been amazing with awesome ideas. Her bedset is already pink, and she has pink stoage containers - thanks to the Hello Kitty - besides paint, I have almost everything I need for her room and it cost way less than 200 - She's the easy one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN