Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Co-sleeping? Why do moms judge me?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why is it that mothers have such strong opinions against my babies snuggling at night? 

My husbands military while he was oversees this has alleviated a lot of stress for my BABIES and me. Not JUST me (and) 

although I could say that.

or I could say it's been happening since day 1. With ds2 I voted against it, but he ended up in bed with us at 6mon and hasn't left.

its convienent, I bf so it's easy, even my grandma who has 6 kids was strongly against it, (for her own benefit lol) but her last two she bf, and she recently told me, "oh yeah. They definitely came in bed with me, that was the best part about night feedings, they were easy!" 

Than I have my grandmother in law, who has made crude remarks to me from the beginning.  

So why all the negative feed? What's your stance? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
Aleta775
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I only co sleep when me and my dd take a nap. I didn't to fight her to sleep in her own bed. I had a friend that had a huge problem with that after she let her kids sleep with her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I co slept with all 3 of my girls till I was done bf. I will preface that with the fact that we have a history of SIDS in our family to begin with, and all 3 of my girls were on heart and apnea monitors also. My oldest for 18 months for other reasons and my other 2 for 4 or 5 months. Co sleeping helped regulate their breathing and heart rates. 

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
FAR more babies die in their own crib than in the parent's bed. Most of these warnings you hear are nothing more than misinformed scare tactics, or happened because mom and dad weren't practicing safe co-sleeping habits. There is a safe way to do it though, and its actually arguably better for a baby than sleeping in a crib.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think its because of all of the sad tragic stories we've heard of babies cosleepins. Like suffocation, falling of the bed etc

JulieBoyd
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I co sleep too, my mom did it with all 4 of her kids too
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I cosleep. It's the most natural thing to me because they spend nine months inside your body only to be thrown into a dark cold am lonely crib. That just isn't right, and besides with me breastfeeding, it super easy.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
But those are almost always drugged or unsafe bedsharing issues. Drs should explan howbto cosleep safely inste ad of saying "no just dont do it!" .its like teaching abstinence only sex ed .

Quoting Anonymous:

I think its because of all of the sad tragic stories we've heard of babies cosleepins. Like suffocation, falling of the bed etc

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I co-slept with both of mine.. Oldest is in her own bed now, at age 5, youngest still nurses to sleep, she's 2. 

So long as it's done safely, there is nothing wrong with co-sleeping. In fact a LOT of cases that people freak out about and blame co-sleeping on deaths of infants, are because the parents or caretakers were drunk/high. (which obviously is not safe, lol). 

In other countries, where co-sleeping is the norm.. SIDS is drastically reduced ;). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I normally wouldn't do this, but since we're already correcting it's alleviate.

Quoting marihla:

eleviated, not elevated lol. The first time I read that I couldn't understand why you would do something that elevates your babies' stress.

Anywho, women judge anything with legs. I wish it weren't that way. We should let each other be parents and do the best we can.

Presley77
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM
We co sleep. Nothing else works for us. I never do and never will are what others think about how I parent. None their bees wax! Co sleeping is natural and in most cases safe.
MamaMoopsie
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I've been back and forth on this one. As a long term thing, I think co-sleeping is a bad idea. I have done it though. When I was breastfeeding it was so much easier to just let them sleep with me. However, DH can't sleep if their is a child in bed with us, even if I'm between him and the child.

Once in a while if one of my girls comes in and asks to cuddle with me at night I have no problem with it, but every night? Nope. Not even an option. Daddy and I need our alone time too.

I have a friend who co-slept with her little ones until they were 3 years old. Her oldest daughter just turned 14 and was still sneaking into bed with mom and dad at 9 years old. Her youngest daughter is 10 1/2 and is still sneaking into bed with them in the middle of the night. At some point it just isn't healthy anymore. I feel co-sleeping to that extent causes a type of co-dependency that just isn't good for the child.

With my first DD, I co-slept with her until she was 8 months old and realized it wasn't healthy for her. She flat out would not sleep without me. She wouldn't even take naps unless we were in the car. So for my own sake as well as DH's who had taken to sleeping on the couch, I made the tough call of fighting that horrible fight every night to get her to sleep on her own. She still shared a room with us until she was ten months old, then she moved into SD's bedroom. The only time I co-slept with DD#2 was when she was sick, and then it was on the couch. I have only twice co-slept with my now 13 month old.

However, I don't judge you for co-sleeping. It works well for some and not so well for others. I can remember being a small child of loving the security of cuddling up with my mother. That's what I want for my children. They have to start the night off in their own beds and once in a while it'll be okay to crawl in bed with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)