Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you vaccinate if...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies
2 moms liked this

Would you vaccinate your youngest child if your older child was diagnosed with Autism?? Following the traditional American schedule? Selective? Delayed?

This is my current battle. My ASD child will not receive any further vaccinations... but she's current as of age 2 so that pretty much covers everything anyway. But I'm conflicted on whether or not to continue vaccinating my infant.

I have a hard time believing research that was funded by the govermnent and vaccine manufacturers. I realize there is little research in support of vaccines causing/triggering/contributing to Autistic symptoms... but I also realize that any such research will be buried by the government as it would not be in the best interest of the population as a whole. If there were ever solid research proving that the MMR or any other vaccine caused Autism, I would bet millions that it would be somehow discredited by the CDC, AAP, WHO etc.. In all honesty, who could blame them? The last thing the world needs is a bunch of non-vax kids!!!

If none of my children had ASD (plus my oldest has ADHD), this would not be a question. But I already lose sleep at night wondering if my vax choice caused/contributed to my little girl's problems. The last thing I want is for something to happen to my son.

Links to anything credible (NOT an article on AOL or some other bullshit site) would be helpful.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
One of the package inserts stated autism and sids was a side affect. If mercury was safe why did they start removing it from vaccines?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
It's the DTaP vaccine.

Quoting Anonymous:

One of the package inserts stated autism and sids was a side affect. If mercury was safe why did they start removing it from vaccines?
LoveTragedyFun
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM
2 moms liked this

we don't vax at all so...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I would. It may help protect your older child.

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Exactly.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM

NO

amberstars
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

No I wouldn't.  And vaccines don't cause autism.  I'd also be getting fixed so I couldn't have anymore kids.  I don't think it would be fair to Dh or my child if I had more kids when I had a special needs child would demand all my attention and resources.  I can see how an adverse side effect would change a person's mind on vaccinating future chlidren.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I just don't know..

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My DS who is being evaluated for ASD (has the first part of his eval next week actually) had a major regression after a round of shots. He literally lost ALL of his skills aside from motor skills, and developed a lot of sensory issues and repetitive movements. I am not totally convinced that vaccines CAUSE autism (because he had some symptoms before the vaccines, but they were very mild compared to now). But I do think it's highly likely that vaccines can intensify the symptoms associated with ASD, or trigger an onset in a child who may be genetically predisposed to autism.

That being said, he will not have any further vaccinations, and any children we have in the future will be on a very delayed and selective schedule, if we decide to vax at all.

You can feel free to PM me any time. I can relate to the struggle you're going through, so if you need to talk, I'm here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured