Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Big Bang Theory... I am not a "Penny!"

Posted by   + Show Post

Since the Sitcom, Big Bang Theory, gained popularity.  The shear mention that my husband is a scientist typically leads to the "Penny" comparison.  Seriously, just because my husband is a physicist doesn't mean I am his proverbial "Penny."  

The comparison is quite annoying and kinda insulting.

Any other scientist's wives out there experience "Penny" moments?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Replies (31-34):
LoveTragedyFun
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM

is she portrayed as dumb? (being blond and all, you know how Hollywood is)

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

Penny is a Blonde chick that lives across the hall from Sheldon and Leonard. theoretical and experimental physicists, respectively.  

I am simply compared to her because my husband is a physicist.  Nothing more... Until they get to know me.  Then it changes, but still.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

I have heard of the show and people seem to love it. Who is Penny and why are you compared to her?

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

Try it out one day.  Let me know what you think of it.  I find it super funny because it is quite reminiscent of my husband and his colleagues.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

I have no idea what this means. I have never watched this show.

SoltaniMommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM

She isn't "dumb" she is clueless, but as the show progresses she becomes more abreast.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

is she portrayed as dumb? (being blond and all, you know how Hollywood is)

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

Penny is a Blonde chick that lives across the hall from Sheldon and Leonard. theoretical and experimental physicists, respectively.  

I am simply compared to her because my husband is a physicist.  Nothing more... Until they get to know me.  Then it changes, but still.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

I have heard of the show and people seem to love it. Who is Penny and why are you compared to her?

Quoting SoltaniMommy:

Try it out one day.  Let me know what you think of it.  I find it super funny because it is quite reminiscent of my husband and his colleagues.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

I have no idea what this means. I have never watched this show.

pampire
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:14 AM

AFF is the actot that played "Blossom".  Danica McKellar from "The Wonder Years" went to college and got an advanced degree in mathematics.  Smart chicks rock.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you a "Amy Farrah Fowler"? Or a "Bernadette"? Or Raj's sister?

Did you know the person that plays AFF is an actual neurobiologist in real life?

pampire
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I love that show.  I see myself as a Leonard/Penny combo and my SO has quite a bit of Sheldon in him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured