Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

spin off homeschooling

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:12 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

Why would my children be odd just because they homeschool? I have two college age daughters. One is married going to college and the district manager over a chain. The other in college and engaged also working in a job she loves. Both have awesome friends and jobs. My other six all average kids activities friends. Some baseball,football, heck two are in a championship competitive cheer team. Why all the odd stereotypes?  You would think in the current times people would see home schooling as a good choice.

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christine0813
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Not sure. People just assume instead of researching, or asking about it.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM
I think the stigma is that homeschooled kids are kept in a bubble, not as well rounded, socially awkward, way too sheltered....
I've met a few like this from extremely religious families but I know it's not all like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidlover2
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM
It can be... but the stereotype is still conservative religious families "protecting" their children from society. My sister is one of them and her children are weird, anti-social, and behind in education. As much as I think people should have the right to homeschool, I wish there was a way to prevent the many typical problems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I don't think homeschooled children are any more odd or socially awkward than any other children. We know quite a few homeschool families, but do not homeschool ourselves.

momaof8
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM

you can't prevent it inpublic schools. Kids are nerds or awkward behind in their education because they fall through the cracks

Quoting kidlover2:

It can be... but the stereotype is still conservative religious families "protecting" their children from society. My sister is one of them and her children are weird, anti-social, and behind in education. As much as I think people should have the right to homeschool, I wish there was a way to prevent the many typical problems.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Just because homeschooling isn't my choice, doesn't mean I think it's a wrong choice.

I've known four families that homeschooled. Three of them did it right. Only one family had kids that were incredibly well-rounded and active. The other two had intelligent and polite children, but they were always slightly behind in social interaction.
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that a lot of people believe that all homeschooled kids are strange, because that's all they have ever seen.

My siblings and I are all very social and have jobs that require us to interact with multiple people On a daily basis. We were homeschooled for all 12 years.

My 2 older brothers are doctors(an epileptilogist and an ER/trauma doc, I am an ER nurse and my sister is a professional musician).

We all have normal lives and have never been hampered by having been homeschooled.
kidlover2
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM
To some extent. There is no comparison. And public school children are given the choice to be weird and socially awkward. Their parents are nut jobs and the kids are given 6 hours a day to experience otherwise. Homeschooling doesn't give those option.

Quoting momaof8:

you can't prevent it inpublic schools. Kids are nerds or awkward behind in their education because they fall through the cracks

Quoting kidlover2:

_jcls_
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM
I don't think it has to do with homeschooling, I think its the parenting or the family dynamic. My dh and his siblings were homeschooled and they are not weird at all. In fact they were very popular growing up, they attended camps, played football, and did a lot of other activities. However his cousins that are homeschooled are very strange. But I think its because the mom has put crazy thoughts in their heads not because they are homeschooled.
paknari
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I've only met two homeschooled children so my scope is limited. One at 14 walked around claiming that his family was really aliens and he would one day destroy them and run away and the other was so shy that she wouldn't really talk to people. But I do understand that in my hometown only the religion fanatics homeschooled and that is not always the case. As a young adult inwould have believed the stereotype.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)