Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Easter and Non-Christians..

I am not religious but I celebrate and loooove Christmas. I always will celebrate it, and I know there are many people who aren't religious but who celebrate it anyway.

I've been celebrating Easter every year with my daughter (who is 3 this year). I'm just wondering if Easter is also a holiday that many non-religious folks also celebrate. I grew up in a Catholic home.. but I don't believe in god or any religions and neither does my fiance. I guess it just never occured to me to take out the fun kid stuff  just because I don't believe in the religion. To me they are just fun traditions that I've been doing since I was a child.

So.. if you are not a Christian, or not religious at all.... is Easter something you still celebrate? Or just Christmas... or do not celebrate either holiday?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Replies (371-371):
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Quoting amberstars:

Quoting harehelper:

How come you don't celebrate birthdays?

Quoting amberstars:

We are Muslims.  We don't celebrate non-Muslim holidays.  Not even birthdays.  We only have two holidays in Islam and those are the two Eids.  I am an American revert to Islam (the only Muslim in my family).  My family doesn't know I am not allowed to celebrate holidays.  That would just cause me more harassment.  For my family (who are all non-Christians) holidays such as Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving and Christmas do not have any religious meaning for us.  Those are the only few holidays my family gets together.  Christmas is done by switch each year (one year it is at my grandmother's and one at mom's the next year and is done like that every year).

Because we are not supposed to imitate the Kafir (the non-Muslims) in manner, custom, dress or speech.  And you're just another year closer to death which means another year closer to meeting Allah (SWT) so why bother celebrating something like that? 

Ok, I understand the concept of not acting like those outside your faith. Although I don't understand why you wouldn't want to celebrate being closer to meeting Allah...? As a Christian, going home to the Lord is something to look forward to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)