Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

" I can't wait to take it easy"

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at the park, doing my post jog/run play ground time with my youngest one. This nice woman walked up and started talking to me while I was doing my sit ups. We just started chatting and then we got on the topic of working and staying home with the kids and she said "I will be staying home with my 3 kids in about a week, I put in my resignation one week ago. I work my ass off and don't make any money and there's no appreciation for all the work I do. I can not wait to stay home with the kids so I can relax and take it easy for a while and finally get some appreciation, you know?" I held back my explosive laughter and just agreed with her. I remember feeling that way before I really understood the whole "labours of love" thing for real. I do feel that caring for your kids if you can, is best for them, and I love being able to be there for them, for now, until I find a job that works for our family, but if your expecting relaxation and highly deserved appreciation, you've been watching too many made for tv scripted house wives shows. I didn't have the heart or the time to challenge her expectations. My bon bons, 20 year old tennis coach and 12:00 spa appointment where waiting, lol. Why ruin the surprise!

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (501-510):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 98 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess with the way most people have kids 3-5 years apart, it might seem easy. I had 4 kids in 5 years, and three of them had special needs. Not complaining, 3 of them are in school now, and my youngest is a joy at home. My work load has eased up considerably. Just saying, that if I had read this comment 4 yrs ago, in the midst of testing, nursing, therapy sessions, night terrors....I would've been pissed.

Quoting SnapIt:

It really isnt that hard to be a sahm

Now the appreciation part.... Thats one i wouldve laughed at

Anonymous
by Anonymous 99 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

yes, i call staying home rather than working my ass off all week for someone else, 'taking it easy'..i'd much rather stay home, and take it easy, than work for someone else's paycheck.  Appreciation is best served with humble pie. 

Lady-of-leisure
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this
All mums deserve to be SAHM's and have the chance to see their children grow up! Thanks to an amazing home based business i was told about by my friend that just fits around any commitments, I was able to give up work after 5 months and now work from home as the income over took my full time wage! When my little one's come along in the near future, I will be a full time SAHM with a thriving business I can fit around them! I urge any mums looking for something to do or looking for an income or doesn't want to go back to work to like this and i'll message you or contact me as I can share with you how just like my friend did with me! Much love x Chanel x
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dfournier0922
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:53 AM
I think this depends on the person. I like organization to the extremely. When I stayed home with the kids I would clean out the closets, basement, and barn on a weekly basis. My need for clean took the easy out of it.

Quoting twinmommy27:

I think being a SAHM is harder for unorganized people. If you're organized and have a good schedule, it's easy peasy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KerriAKAMom
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I agree with you, I am a SAHM with boys who are 18 months apart....and I am constantly busy and have no time to rest and relax.  My youngest who is 3 1/2,  is a big handful, you cannot leave him alone for 2 minutes to even use the bathroom without him getting into something!  My world is very stressful since neither kid wants to listen to me and challenge me and the rules all day long!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd bet the majority of women who say being a SAHM is not hard probably have school age children that are out of the home a good chunk of the day.

Not like SAHM's like me that have two babies 17 months apart who I'm with CONSTANTLY.

No its not easy, it is VERY difficult, OP that lady really has it coming if her kids are not school aged. Only way being a SAHM is easy is if you have a nanny to help, or the kids are at school for 8 hours.

RetiredUSAFWife
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Yeah Right??? Relax with little children running around everywhere, I don't think so. Although I confess, I was a stay at home mother, and I did do lots of things with the kids. If you do what a mother does every day then you're not going to have time to relax as much as you think you will. When someone calls you on the phone, the kid will be hanging on your leg, or saying, "Where's this, I want that LOL". When you're trying to clean the house the kids come behind you and mess it all up again. That's not all, you're the jack of all trades, you'll be chauffering, a doctor/nurse, head cook and bottle washer, laundry lady, you name it we have to do it. If we got paid for all we do individually, I'm sure our salary would be at least 200 000.00 a year. Probably more. LOL. Raising children is NOT easy, but it is rewarding. I say that a mothers job is the hardest job of all, and it's worth it in the end.

RetiredUSAFWife
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Oh and thats why I also say, the women are the STRONGER sex. (Maybe not physically, but they are emotionally stronger than men LOL)

jessifromdenver
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Working full time with kids blows. SAHM is hard, but it's nothing like having to work ten hours a day, commute one hour, and then come home to cook, clean, drag your family to swim lessons and 4H and whatever else that they are doing any particular day. Moms who work outside the home don't have any less work in the home. I'm back to working full time for a few weeks and I'll be so glad to go back to part time when this is over.
Appreciation is still pretty low being a mom who works part time and takes care of the kids as well. My paycheck isn't big enough and I'm not "doing anything" on the days I'm not working. :-/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Teedie10
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I had a friend who was a lawyer who took time off when her husband job changed.She walked up to a group of us stay-at-home moms in the park on her first morning home with two small kids and a newborn and started lecturing us about how she felt as though she wasn't "earning her keep!" We all just smiled knowing karma would catch up. About a week later, she arrived in dirty sweats with her hair all over the place, the baby was screaming and the other 2 were covered in chocolate and smacking each other--she started wailing, "...I can't even brush my teeth...!" So one of us took the baby, somebody got her a coffee and another mom put the toddlers on a swing while we calmed her down. We laugh about it now but she learned her lesson!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 100 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM

It does depend on the situation, I am a stay at home Mom, I can't say I get to take it easy, there is always something I need to get done, But I can say I am not stressed like I was working 60 hours a week, spending my days off running to get done what I couldn't do during the week while working, trying to take care of my house and cook and my family. My husband worked nights, I ran myself into the ground. After  looking at everything my husband and I both decided I should stay home, my blood pressure was through the roof, I had horrible stress headaches almost every day. Since I quite blood pressure back to normal, headaches far and few in between. I keep up with my home and family, Unlike what I have seen from most Moms commenting  I do get appreciated at home, not a day passes that either my children or my husband do not tell me how glad they are I am home, how much they appreciate what I do and they all pitch in to help if I need it. I have no regrets. I have a job for once that isn't thankless I don't feel like the maid and babysistter. I think the best thing is when my husband, after he has worked 18 hours, comes in and directs me to the couch and tells me sit and relax , points to the kitchen that i was cleaning after dinner and tells me he's got this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN