Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

" I can't wait to take it easy"

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at the park, doing my post jog/run play ground time with my youngest one. This nice woman walked up and started talking to me while I was doing my sit ups. We just started chatting and then we got on the topic of working and staying home with the kids and she said "I will be staying home with my 3 kids in about a week, I put in my resignation one week ago. I work my ass off and don't make any money and there's no appreciation for all the work I do. I can not wait to stay home with the kids so I can relax and take it easy for a while and finally get some appreciation, you know?" I held back my explosive laughter and just agreed with her. I remember feeling that way before I really understood the whole "labours of love" thing for real. I do feel that caring for your kids if you can, is best for them, and I love being able to be there for them, for now, until I find a job that works for our family, but if your expecting relaxation and highly deserved appreciation, you've been watching too many made for tv scripted house wives shows. I didn't have the heart or the time to challenge her expectations. My bon bons, 20 year old tennis coach and 12:00 spa appointment where waiting, lol. Why ruin the surprise!

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (511-520):
shell.bell
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I've been a sahm for going on 10 years. I spend a short time each day making sure the house is clean and things are done, it doesn't take that long. Everyone is on a family routine in the house as well. I always feel appreciated from my kids and spouse. I always have plenty of time each day to relax. Did I mention I have 3 kids (9,6,2) and I am 7 months pregnant? It is not just for televison but in real life. I am rarely stressed, kids enjoy when I bake homemade bread for them. We also have always been a one working household (no we are not made of money either). I enjoy every part of my life and my family. It has never been stressful even when I had my first at 19 or before I had kids in school, or while being on bedrest before or while hubby was/is gone all the time or while having no friends or family around or while going to school. It is something I am meant to do and love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lilpep100
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I work much more now that I "stay home." My mistake was thinking it would be easier with both in school. Between the PTO, girl scouts, year round swim, bible club at school, and my weekly bible study... I'm worn out! It can be relaxing if she does nothing. The moms who let the kids watch tv and play video games have it easy, maybe that's her plan. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 101 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I just dud the same thing although I only got 6 weeks but I got all the appreciation from my 4 year old who constantly told me what a great job I was doing and how thankful he was to have a brother and to get to snuggle with at nap time. I wish so badly to have that everyday even my husband said it was way less stress because I had everything done before he got home and he didnt have to drop the kids off before work he got more sleep (not sure how with a new baby lol) it was sooo nice now all I have are the weekends :( ugh I'm jealous

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

I am on a four month maternity leave and it has felt like a wonderful vacation! My oldest is in school most of the day and my middle child is pretty easy for a two year old. Babies are the easiest of all. So taking it easy applies for me. Appreciation is a different story all together.
amsp259
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Did both, working is sooooo much easier!! Although the mommy guilt killed me! Working can get hard but sahm is no walk in the park, it is still harder.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Lol, OCD?

I'm like that with cleaning...it's only been bad since the kids went to school though.

Quoting dfournier0922:

I think this depends on the person. I like organization to the extremely. When I stayed home with the kids I would clean out the closets, basement, and barn on a weekly basis. My need for clean took the easy out of it.

Quoting twinmommy27:

I think being a SAHM is harder for unorganized people. If you're organized and have a good schedule, it's easy peasy.

julesbouge
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I used to have the same kind of job that she described.  I understand where she is coming from.  The stress level of being home with the kids is nothing at all compared to the 60 hours a week I would spend at a job that I hated.

Medusa686
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I think SAHM's work harder. I've always worked FT but how hard is it for me to go to some dumb meeting and send emails all day.  When I am home on a day off, I work a lot harder, cleaning, laundry, etc.  My work is mental, but work at home is physical and mental.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Cool.

I'm not sure you can say that everyone is different but 'most' others get overwhelmed though.

Every household is different and every mom has their challenges.

Quoting gamermom81:

Well good for you :) Honestly not being a brat about it...It's nice when you hear about someone who is able to not have it as difficult as others..but..it is not the same for everybody. Thats nice that you dont have a hard time but most others do get overwhelmed.

Quoting Momniscient:

Eh. Im a 'WAHM' and I don't think it's all that difficult.

Necie72
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I've been home with 4 y/o DD since November.  It's really not that difficult.  I'm organized and somewhat OCD, so the only "problem" I have is keeping the house clean.  But, she's a kid, so the house will be messy on a daily basis, but I still straighten up every night.  SO says he knows he'd go nuts being home with her every day, all day and he appreciates having a nice home and a good meal when he gets home.  So, it can be challenging at times, but it can also be relaxing.  I'm a lot less stressed than I was at my last job.

detmom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Sometimes I feel guilty my DH does not have the option to 'stay home'.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)