Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

" I can't wait to take it easy"

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at the park, doing my post jog/run play ground time with my youngest one. This nice woman walked up and started talking to me while I was doing my sit ups. We just started chatting and then we got on the topic of working and staying home with the kids and she said "I will be staying home with my 3 kids in about a week, I put in my resignation one week ago. I work my ass off and don't make any money and there's no appreciation for all the work I do. I can not wait to stay home with the kids so I can relax and take it easy for a while and finally get some appreciation, you know?" I held back my explosive laughter and just agreed with her. I remember feeling that way before I really understood the whole "labours of love" thing for real. I do feel that caring for your kids if you can, is best for them, and I love being able to be there for them, for now, until I find a job that works for our family, but if your expecting relaxation and highly deserved appreciation, you've been watching too many made for tv scripted house wives shows. I didn't have the heart or the time to challenge her expectations. My bon bons, 20 year old tennis coach and 12:00 spa appointment where waiting, lol. Why ruin the surprise!

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (521-530):
momma_hambrook
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I have to 3 year olds and a 4 month old... My boys are a head full... So definitely not easy... Some days I wish I worked..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuLuThatsWho
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, ok.  I have four small children, no nanny, no housekeeper, husband away...  It's really hard.  I have a dog, but I don't really find him relevant to my life as a SAHM.

Just because you had an easy time of it doesn't mean that everyone does.

Quoting SnapIt:

When i was a full time sahm and not working i had 2 kids under 2 yrs and my 130 pound dog i walked on my own with the kids daily
No help either
No nanny
No cleaning lady
No husband because he worked most the times
And no family around either to help watch my kids
Friends yes, but they had kids too so,,,
No time for myself
Now im a sahwm
Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

How many kids do you have?

Quoting SnapIt:

It really isnt that hard to be a sahm

Now the appreciation part.... Thats one i wouldve laughed at

kaisermama
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM

im a sahm and ya i do everything myself and my husband hardly helps even when i ask him to do it. and i never get appreciated...but ya

Sirime
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM

It is not hard to be a stay at home mom if you figure out a schedule that works for both u and the kids what it is hard is the appreciation part because just because I don't work and bring home $$$ doesn't mean I don't work at all my job is alot harder than going to work and I don't get paid for it, plus not to mention is a 24/7 job literally. I work from home so to me sometimes the difficult part is being able to work from home without my kiddos needing me every now and then to play or do something for them, so my work needs to be cut down in quarters so I can actually get it done and still give them mommy time. I do love when my kiddos come into my office to hug me or kiss me just because they want to, that's something I wouldn't be able to have if I worked out of home! And I love that! 

Sirime
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Same here, ugh that's so annoying to me! Like really dude you wanted a kid just to bump all the work on me?! I hear ya!

cat1622
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I don't really think it was meant in the way this was percieved. I say the same thing. I cannot wait until I retire so I can stay at home and relax but that is not to be confused with thinking it is easy. It is relaxing because you are with your children and you aren't worrying about what is going on with them at daycare while you are working. Being in the military I can take a whole month off of work at a time so I do experience the all day parenting thing and I do admit to wanting to pull my hair out, but you know what? That is still better than the alternative, hence, relaxing. 

Now, I will have the advantage of my children both being in elementary school when I retire in a few years so I WILL get to "relax" because my entire day will not be surrounded by the needs of a toddler. 

If you don't think your kids appreciate you more than anyone else then I feel so so sorry for you. 

JT95687
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I nearly spit out my coffee from laughing so hard!!!!  Reality is a bitch slap in the face... but I still love my crazy muffins! <3

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Our Angel Babies (forever loved and forever missed)
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
HamsterandCow
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Depends on the baby. They are NOT all easy! I've had 3 and I've been a SAHM and working mom (which I am now) and because of my work schedule I don't have any time to really be a mom. Thankfully I can get a schedule change in a few weeks or I'd just quit. And we would be just barely getting by, with a few things not getting paid. Being a SAHM was "easier" because I only worried about my family and house, instead of all of that plus an exhausting job where we have mandatory overtime right now. I will say that being in the hospital after giving birth to my 3rd child was a vacation! The baby slept most of the time, wasn't a crier, the staff brought me gourmet food and made my bed. Now that's a vacation!

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

I am on a four month maternity leave and it has felt like a wonderful vacation! My oldest is in school most of the day and my middle child is pretty easy for a two year old. Babies are the easiest of all. So taking it easy applies for me. Appreciation is a different story all together.

Luna091306
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Agree. Of course ds is only 8 months but I take it easy quite often. lol

Quoting SnapIt:

It really isnt that hard to be a sahm

Now the appreciation part.... Thats one i wouldve laughed at

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

HamsterandCow
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Oops forgot to state-I totally agree with you on the appreciation part! Only now that I'm working long hours does my family see all that I did. Bonus-DH is getting a maid to come in once a week starting next week!!!!!!!

Quoting HamsterandCow:

Depends on the baby. They are NOT all easy! I've had 3 and I've been a SAHM and working mom (which I am now) and because of my work schedule I don't have any time to really be a mom. Thankfully I can get a schedule change in a few weeks or I'd just quit. And we would be just barely getting by, with a few things not getting paid. Being a SAHM was "easier" because I only worried about my family and house, instead of all of that plus an exhausting job where we have mandatory overtime right now. I will say that being in the hospital after giving birth to my 3rd child was a vacation! The baby slept most of the time, wasn't a crier, the staff brought me gourmet food and made my bed. Now that's a vacation!

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

I am on a four month maternity leave and it has felt like a wonderful vacation! My oldest is in school most of the day and my middle child is pretty easy for a two year old. Babies are the easiest of all. So taking it easy applies for me. Appreciation is a different story all together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured