Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

" I can't wait to take it easy"

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at the park, doing my post jog/run play ground time with my youngest one. This nice woman walked up and started talking to me while I was doing my sit ups. We just started chatting and then we got on the topic of working and staying home with the kids and she said "I will be staying home with my 3 kids in about a week, I put in my resignation one week ago. I work my ass off and don't make any money and there's no appreciation for all the work I do. I can not wait to stay home with the kids so I can relax and take it easy for a while and finally get some appreciation, you know?" I held back my explosive laughter and just agreed with her. I remember feeling that way before I really understood the whole "labours of love" thing for real. I do feel that caring for your kids if you can, is best for them, and I love being able to be there for them, for now, until I find a job that works for our family, but if your expecting relaxation and highly deserved appreciation, you've been watching too many made for tv scripted house wives shows. I didn't have the heart or the time to challenge her expectations. My bon bons, 20 year old tennis coach and 12:00 spa appointment where waiting, lol. Why ruin the surprise!

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (531-540):
chloesmommy777
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

phoenixrm1
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I am a sahm and I struggle every day. But that may be because I'm living with my mother right now and I'm taking care of her her husband her 4 kids and my done in a house that is almost as bad as a hoarders house. I work my ass off every day and make almost no progress. And there is definatly no appreciation. So it depends on your situation. I wish I had a job at least then I'd have a lunch break
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JennPearce
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM
It's really not that bad being a sahm. We have a schedule & my kids aren't infants so I can understand what they want or need. I don't always feel appreciated, but when I had a paying job I didn't feel appreciated either so I'd rather be home lol
nikitikitaby
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM
This comment is so right on... I have a 19 month old and a 5 month old. I just became a SAHM the first of the year. I love nothing more then being with my boys and watching them learn and grow. But my marriage is the pits and totally puts a huge damper on the joy that i feel. My husband is a POS that knows zero about what it takes to be a good father. Ughhh i dont even want to get started.

But back on the subject... I had big ideas of leisurely days with daily naps with the boys... Lol... I haven't had ONE nap since the day i left my job

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it really depends on the mom and family situation. Some moms were made to stay at home and have a wonderful home life and husband. Other people stay home out of half choice with a husband who doesn't help and doesn't appreciate anything.
bqt
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I think many woman may have misconceptions or inaccurate expectations. But this is true, it does depend

on the woman, also depends on her husband, his job, the kids (temperment, age , needs, etc) where they live, if family lives near, if they like their families, what kind of house they live in, how many pets they have,their income level,ohw big the yard is etc etc etc etc.  

I mean i work my BEHIND off but i love it and usually my dh is appreciative

Quoting Anonymous:

I think that depends on the woman.  Some women find it hard to be a sahm and would rather work.

Quoting SnapIt:

It really isnt that hard to be a sahm

Now the appreciation part.... Thats one i wouldve laughed at

seqra2
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I have a four month old right now and I have to say sahm much easier than working. I also have a 13 year old in school. So I get up at 5:45 every morning to make breakfast and take her to school. I nurse so I do all the feedings, and yes she still wakes up at night usually around 3:30am. And I don't get to go to sleep until 12:00am because I'm trying to get in a little time with the husband. With all that said if I was going to work right now as well I wouldn't be able to function because none of this stuff would change. 

I get to stay home and relax with the baby during the day. I get all the play time. I get the tummy time with her. I feel like I get more with her. 

Ryansmom2004
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM

She's going to have a rude awakening. In a month she will be looking for another job so she can "Take it easy and relax" I WOULD have laughed in her face!!

rojareb84
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM
LOL. Being a stay at home mom may be easy if you have your kids in daycare and school. i homeschool my 7 year old an my 2 year old isnt in daycare. we arent always at home. but dang it its hard lol
NakeshaMika
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:18 AM
I was thinking this exact thing when I came across your post!! I agree?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd bet the majority of women who say being a SAHM is not hard probably have school age children that are out of the home a good chunk of the day.

Not like SAHM's like me that have two babies 17 months apart who I'm with CONSTANTLY.

No its not easy, it is VERY difficult, OP that lady really has it coming if her kids are not school aged. Only way being a SAHM is easy is if you have a nanny to help, or the kids are at school for 8 hours.

FemaleRacer
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:37 AM

I think that both staying at home and working away from home are hard work!  I am currently a SAHM and I work my a$$ of every single day. 

Here are some of my responsibilities as a SAHM:

Teach lesson plans for 2 oldest children.  Both have public school that is taught at home with the K12 program.  They are also special needs children.***Take youngest child to pre-school.  ***Go to college full time online***Work on the start up of my life and home organization business***complete responsibility of cleaning the house***cook all the meals and make preschool snacks set up for youngest.***Lead a girl scout troop and track the groups information (Did I mention it is cookie season?!?**Run booth sales for girl scouts***make a family budget and pay the bills***Handle all doctor/OT/sensory classes for our autistic daughter***do the laundry***Take the kids to the library every week to promote the importance of reading***plan meals and do the shopping***Take the kids to martial arts and archery lessons...

This list just keeps going on.  We all have lists like this.  I am not posting this because I think I am any buisier or work any harder then the next mom.  I do, however, feel that it is hard work!  I do not see how some people can comment that it is easy or that it would be easier for those who are more organized,,,

Jessica---wife to Jeff and mom to a house full!

lunchbagbackpacktoddler boyttcpuppycat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured