Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

" I can't wait to take it easy"

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at the park, doing my post jog/run play ground time with my youngest one. This nice woman walked up and started talking to me while I was doing my sit ups. We just started chatting and then we got on the topic of working and staying home with the kids and she said "I will be staying home with my 3 kids in about a week, I put in my resignation one week ago. I work my ass off and don't make any money and there's no appreciation for all the work I do. I can not wait to stay home with the kids so I can relax and take it easy for a while and finally get some appreciation, you know?" I held back my explosive laughter and just agreed with her. I remember feeling that way before I really understood the whole "labours of love" thing for real. I do feel that caring for your kids if you can, is best for them, and I love being able to be there for them, for now, until I find a job that works for our family, but if your expecting relaxation and highly deserved appreciation, you've been watching too many made for tv scripted house wives shows. I didn't have the heart or the time to challenge her expectations. My bon bons, 20 year old tennis coach and 12:00 spa appointment where waiting, lol. Why ruin the surprise!

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I have been a sahm for 6yrs now. I have 3 boys ages 7 1/2, 6 and 2 1/2 years old. I wouldn't say being a sahm is hard. It's stressful, demanding and down right exhausting some days. Anyone who thinks they are just going to sleep in, wear yoga pants and lounge around the house occassionally playing with the kids and then get praised out the butt is living in a fantasy world. She's in for a rude awakening.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I've been a SAHM with twins since they were born. I also watched a three year old with them for a year when they were two. Do you have planned activities during the day along with a set schedule for naps and bedtime?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd bet the majority of women who say being a SAHM is not hard probably have school age children that are out of the home a good chunk of the day.

Not like SAHM's like me that have two babies 17 months apart who I'm with CONSTANTLY.

No its not easy, it is VERY difficult, OP that lady really has it coming if her kids are not school aged. Only way being a SAHM is easy is if you have a nanny to help, or the kids are at school for 8 hours.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ohiomom35
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a stay at home mom. It's the easiest thing I've ever done in my life
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

And working moms do the same thing while having a job outside the home to go to. It's always funny when people talk about 'managing an entire household' like it's difficult to do. It is quite simple and easy, and there is plenty of time for relaxation if you're doing it 'right'. Even working moms get time to relax.

Knowing that you can just keep the kids home from school, jump in your vehicle, and head to the beach for the day is definitely 'easier' than having to schedule the time off of work.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lamo, poor woman. I not only raise my kids, but manage an entire household. It's not simple or easy. I am moving from the time THEY wake at 6/6:30 until at least 10 at night. Where is the relaxing part??

I will say that with our first is WAS easy, but three kids later? No way.

BKozICan
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
4 moms liked this

I've considered going back to work *just* so I could pee by myself.

ohiomom35
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
My kids are 2 & 4
eztwins
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Well I have been home for 10 years and I agree its easier than working. I have school age children now but I was home with twins when they were small and it was still easy. I had plenty of time to relax. They took naps and went to bed at 8. Having babies and toddlers is work and time consuming but not like having to work or work and still have to care for those babies. I give props to working moms bc I couldn't do it.

As for appreciation... Well we can be underappreciated and there is no raises or promotions but in my case my dh gave plenty of appreciation. That is very situational though
NoahandEliza
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM
This sounds like my exact situation. My baby is nursing right now and my 20 month old is shaking her sippy cup as hard as she can, flinging milk all over the coffee table. I'm pretty sure she's stinky as well. She's been a little jealous of the new baby and is being super defiant. I'm trying my best to give her the attention she needs, but there's only so much I can do while I'm stuck in the chair! I swear, I only wish I could take a nap right now. That whole "sleep when the baby does" doesn't apply when you have a toddler too.

Quoting jamamama00:

Holy moly, I'm with you! I've got three kids under five. An 18 mo old and newborn right now. The only reason I'm on Cafe Mom is because I'm sitting here nursing...and it's driving me effing crazy. My other DD's are throwing Lego's all over the damn floor and I can smell a dirty diaper right now but can't get up:/ Getting all of us bathed and dressed every day and dinner ready for when my DH gets home is a nightmare!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd bet the majority of women who say being a SAHM is not hard probably have school age children that are out of the home a good chunk of the day.

Not like SAHM's like me that have two babies 17 months apart who I'm with CONSTANTLY.

No its not easy, it is VERY difficult, OP that lady really has it coming if her kids are not school aged. Only way being a SAHM is easy is if you have a nanny to help, or the kids are at school for 8 hours.

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

It depends on the person and the family. I just put in my resignation too and I'm feeling the same way as that woman. I was a sahm before, so I know exactly what I get to look forward to. I also know the dynamics of the job I am quitting and how crappy it has become. Staying home WILL be a break for me and I WILL get more appreciation than I ever have from my job. 

Maybe this woman is in similar shoes and knows like I do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Yep..well I married a decent man so I'm appreciated.

Quoting SnapIt:

It really isnt that hard to be a sahm

Now the appreciation part.... Thats one i wouldve laughed at
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured