Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Youre expecting another? (Just a vent)

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 51 Replies

So I used to work at WalMart-for more than seven years down south, more than ten years total, so when I go to our local store I still know more than half the employees even though it's been almost two years since I quit. I go in today and a lady I was friendly with stopped and her eyes bugged and she says, 'Are we expecting another?' I have two boys, four and nineteen months and Im having my third and last in July. I smiled and said yes. So she smiles knowingly and goes, 'Didnt plan this one, did we?' I was like, seriously? I made this 'are you stupid' face and laughed, 'Yes, actually, we did.' And she was just shocked. She said something else that I cant remember and I replied with I knew what I was doing, Im prepared, and she goes, 'You think you are', still all smiles.

Why on earth do people think you are obligated to stop at two? Or one? Or even that three children is a lot?! (Yes, to some it is but to others it's not-to some people, ONE kid is a lot!) And who the hell is she to tell me I think Im prepared?! Ive wanted three children since before I got married-I was one of two and it never felt complete, so Ive always known we would have three children. When my brother was killed, I even entertained the idea of having a fourth but my husband said he wasnt really interested in four. I was okay with that. We'll have our three and we'll be finished, and we're going to raise them to the best of our ability. Stupid people, thinking you have to have only two, or only one, or for those people who only WANT one, I feel bad for you with everyone asking 'So when are you having another?' It's so aggravating, having everyone 'expect' you to do whatever. Vent over.

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

To each their own....but it is not my business to tell you how many kids to have.

I have one.  I would have loved another but it wasn't meant to be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM
What does u used to working there have anything to do with the story?
TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I have no idea why people care unless it affects them directly. I am expecting my 5th boy and would have more.  I get comments like, "Don't you know what causes that?", "Aren't you getting too old?", "How can you afford that many kids?", etc...

I pay for them. I take care of them.  It doesn't really matter what they think.

CatFishMom
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Because I knew her-meaning she wasnt a total stranger because then I would have been ticked and not just thought she was kind of dumb.

Quoting Anonymous:

What does u used to working there have anything to do with the story?

Jstoddard98
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Congrats on your pregnancy! When are you due? I'm due 7/22 with my second- who was sort of planned ;)
mrsjksimmons
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm one of the moms that people always ask, "So when are you going to have another one." It sucks having to explain to people that DH & I can't have anymore kids. It's like mind your own business. I feel ya. Kudos to you for having three. I'm not sure I could handle more than one. :)

sweet.lil.mama.
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM
We told our families we were gonna have another. They are 3 yrs apart
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

It is VERY difficult to support large families once the kids reach high school and college age.  When school trips cost in the thousands and an education can be $200k for one child.  There is one woman where I work who laments having 4 children because she is struggling to afford them, even though she and her husband make over $200k a year combined.

That is why those who have been through it are amused when someone who has never been there before says they are prepared.  It is trivial to be prepared for a baby, but many parents don't think ahead 15-17 years.  At that point, the children will not be able to do everything that their school mates do, unless mommy and daddy make a great deal at their jobs.

kgsharber
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this

I have 4 kids. No one in their right mind would have more than 2, lol.

But for real, she's an idiot. I would have asked (with a very concerned look on my face) "So you're still working at Wal-Mart huh? No other prospects in the near future? You know, like a real job." 

CatFishMom
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha, :-), Im due the twenty-fourth. Congrats to you, too!

Quoting Jstoddard98:

Congrats on your pregnancy! When are you due? I'm due 7/22 with my second- who was sort of planned ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)