Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nursing on an airplane

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son will be 18 months and nurses quite frequently still. We're flying from Hartford to Orlando next month, and I'm a bit nervous to nurse him in the air. There are so many stories of moms having issues with Delta Airlines flight attendants. :/

I kind of want to shell out the extra money to upgrade to first class in hopes of their being less people in that area. I'm not out to annoy people or shove it in their face, but I don't doubt for a second that he's going to want to nurse, and I won't deny him.

Anyone nurse a child his age on a flight? Did anyone bother you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM

That's not a lng flight. Probably just under three hours? If you feed him before hand he should make it ok with a few snacks on board right?

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Not if he's stressed out. He comfort nurses a lot.

Quoting bcoll:

That's not a lng flight. Probably just under three hours? If you feed him before hand he should make it ok with a few snacks on board right?

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM

We flew from Califorina to Indiana when my son was that age. He slept the whole way so I never ended up nursing him. I would of had he neeeded to nurse.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Try a seat in the back
Use a cover.
I stopped at 10 months but I'd think save my money and tell people to get over it.
We flew delta- I breastfed and never had an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Ahh, I don't know then mama, the only time I nurse my babies on board are on flights to Greece because they are too long when the babies are small. I hope it works out for you. Maybe you could call the airline and ask them their policy?

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Not if he's stressed out. He comfort nurses a lot.

Quoting bcoll:

Bitterroot
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
All 3 of my daughters comfort nursed on flights. Swallowing while nursing helps "pop" their ears during take off and landing. You know, from too much pressure changes. Just bring a cover and don't worry. Also know the airlines policy on nursing mothers so if anyone asks you to stop, you're armed with their policy/code.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Don't worry about other people. Do what you have to do and put your child first. The thoughts of strangers shouldn't matter to you about this.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I've been searching for Delta's. it's hard to find! Guess I will call them.

I'll also be the person with an on board dog lol. People are going to love us :/

Quoting Bitterroot:

All 3 of my daughters comfort nursed on flights. Swallowing while nursing helps "pop" their ears during take off and landing. You know, from too much pressure changes. Just bring a cover and don't worry. Also know the airlines policy on nursing mothers so if anyone asks you to stop, you're armed with their policy/code.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Most of the people who have had troubles with being asked to stop nursing were being overly open - if you nurse with a cover or are at least halfway discreet you won't have any problems.

babyblue21
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Just think of it this way : a crying screaming the whole flight or the chance you may show side boob and have a content baby. I'd take side boob!

We flew from Denver to Chicago when dd#1 was nursing (14m). We sat in the last row, I by the window. I nursed her at takeoff for maybe 1min then she was so busy starring out the window till we got close to landing. The other passengers I don't think noticed and the attendent asked if I needed water or a pillow. She cried when we were landing I'm sure it was the pressure change but only till we touched ground, in which she started laughing hysterically!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)