Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried about the teacher meeting

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM
  • 2 Replies
My seven year has Aspergers, he is in the first grade and is having a lot of trouble. He can hardly read, his math is bad and he can hardly write. We started the IEP process and he has undergone testing the last few weeks to see where he needs help the most. Well today we get the results and I am a little jumpy. I know he needs help and he can't keep up in class, we are going to be talking about special Ed classes for him. He has trouble speaking at times and his words get "stuck" and he gets annoyed when he can't get the words out. So now, I am wondering what is the school going to do? This is going to be a long day..my appt isn't till 2:30
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM
My son went through this process because he had trouble focusing on seat work. They did all the testing and didn't find any specific problems. He has a diagnosis and a prescription which could contribute to lack of focus, they aren't sure. The diagnosis alone qualifies him for extra services, help in the classroom. It has really helped him.

I was apprehensive about the whole process too but a teacher explained that what they were doing could only help him. Once they qualify for services, they can use different tools and approaches that aren't available in a regular classroom. I didn't really see a downside.
dallascowboys82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I have been fighting the school to get what my son needs, since the kindergarden. So this has been a long time coming.

Quoting Anonymous:

My son went through this process because he had trouble focusing on seat work. They did all the testing and didn't find any specific problems. He has a diagnosis and a prescription which could contribute to lack of focus, they aren't sure. The diagnosis alone qualifies him for extra services, help in the classroom. It has really helped him.

I was apprehensive about the whole process too but a teacher explained that what they were doing could only help him. Once they qualify for services, they can use different tools and approaches that aren't available in a regular classroom. I didn't really see a downside.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured