Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Don't be scammed! This could save you hundreds of dollars.

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm telling you guys this because I was almost scammed and I don't want it happening to ya'll.  So a month ago, I see a new dentist due to an insurance change.  They did a gum health check where they poke under your gums and call out numbers. 1,2, and 3s are good. 4, 5, and 6 are not good.  I had quite a few 4s and 5s.  The hygenist said she could not do a regular cleaning and needs to do an expensive $600 "deep cleaning" aka "scaling". They told me to schedule another day to do it and I would need to be numbed in my gums. (anesthesia is very expensive!).  They were very "alarmist" and acted like it was all serious. Well, dh and I were skeptical and we researched what all this is. I decided to schedule with another dentist who goes to our church and who has been an acquaintance of dh's family for many years.  This last month I have been flossing almost every evening.  Today I had my appointment.  They did the same exact poke test and my 4s and 5s have turned into 1,2, and 3s.  I only had 2 4s.  This hygenist simply took her little scraper and she said "you have just a little plaque under that gum. I took care of that." No numbing, no $600 procedure needed.  

Ladies, if a dentist tells you you need an expensive deep cleaning or "scaling" DON'T believe them!  Go get a $3 pack of floss instead!  My gums fixed themselves after just a few weeks of flossing, no expensive cleaning needed!! Many dentists will try to upsell you so they can make money so do your research!

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM

That may absolutely have been true in your case, but sometimes you actually need scaling done. So rather than assuming a $3 ppack of floss can fix your issues, at least see a second dentist. =)

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM

bump

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

bump!

Sept-babies2
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I know dentist scam people all the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

That may absolutely have been true in your case, but sometimes you actually need scaling done. So rather than assuming a $3 ppack of floss can fix your issues, at least see a second dentist. =)

yes, get a second opinion. It's amazing how much simply flossing dramatically improved my gums.

sweetnspacey
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

My dads girlfriend was told at one dentist that she had 7 cavities and prior to this she had never had a cavity in her life. They were all ready to set her up with their line of credit and get her in to fix them. She went to another dentist and still to this day she has never had a cavity.

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Quoting sweetnspacey:

My dads girlfriend was told at one dentist that she had 7 cavities and prior to this she had never had a cavity in her life. They were all ready to set her up with their line of credit and get her in to fix them. She went to another dentist and still to this day she has never had a cavity.

Wow! I'm glad she got a second opinion! You only get one set of adult teeth, don't want some scam artist doing a bunch of unnecessary work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
We had a similar thing happen. The dentist apologized and ate the cost.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)