Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think parents should be sued for bad parenting?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 101 Replies

32-Year-Old Homeless Man Sues Parents for Not Helping Him Out Financially

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on February 21, 2013 

Let's face it, not everyone can say their parents were Parents of the Decade. Even those who seemingly have supportive, loving parents have their share of gripes about them. Sometimes I think our ideas of what parents should be -- gleaned from old episodes of The Cosby Show and faint memories of The Brady Bunch -- are just ridic. But that certainly won't stop people without perfect parents from complaining -- or even suing. Enter 32-year-old jobless and homeless Brooklyn man Bernard Bey, who is suing his parents for being "indifferent" to his problems -- as well as causing all of them.

Bey, who currently lives in a homeless shelter, wants a judge to force his parents to sell the small percentage they own in a run-down brownstone to buy him a Domino's franchise. He thinks this will "break the bonds of poverty" and allow him to make a living.

Orrrrr ... it could put him into deep debt. Since, ya know, Bey hasn't exactly proven himself to be the hardworking kind. He's already spent five years in prison on drug charges and his mom says he's "never had a job in his life."

The lawsuit blames all of his problems on his parents, saying they were emotionally and physically abusive. If that's true, that can trigger a lot of emotional issues that make it difficult for some people to live a normal life. I do know people who were severely abused as children -- and they do have a lot of issues. Often, it's the state that has to step in to help and it's society that pays the price for their parents' failures. Perhaps some parents should be sued if they were particularly abusive and terrible.

But it's not easy to prove past abuse. And in a previous case where two adult children sued their mom for not being a "good mom," they lost because they couldn't prove their mother's behavior rose to the level of being truly abusive. Should parents who are just "meh" be sued too?

Additionally, Bey admits that his parents HAVE given him financial assistance in the past. But apparently they didn't do it with a smile on their faces, because the suit says they gave him money but did it "painstakingly." Uhh, maybe they just didn't have it? Or were sick of giving it to someone who would then just waste it?

There comes a time in this life where you need to stop clinging to the wrongs of your childhood -- no matter how difficult that may be. But something tells me Bey isn't going to take that advice. He probably won't listen to his mom either, who adds: "I say go get a job. I've had a lifetime of him and I'm done." Ahh, this is why pets are so nice.

Do you think parents should be sued for bad parenting? Do you think people need to let go of their complaints about their parents?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM
7 moms liked this

Oh for gosh sakes. People have no work ethic anymore. Get off your ass and earn it yourself! Once grown I don't feel parents have any obligation towards helping their child. Many do, but I don't feel that they HAVE to.

speidelboys
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

hmmm my mom was a drug addict and my birth proves it (emergencey c sec because she od) under her roof i was raped and beat. my brother could do no wrong growing up.

i have 4 kids, a husband, pets and well i am doing ok i dont drink or smoke, my brother is an achaolic is abuse to his partners, always broke and borrowing money from our mom and blaming her for his issues.

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
No that is just friggin stupid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

.... its always mommy's fault right? *SMH*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM

so not coddling their lazy asses is being bad parents? WTF!?!?!? this is what is wrong with this country: too lazy to work? just sue! place blame for your issues on any other person you can!!! 

smfh...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM

What a cry baby! Lol

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM

All this "child" needs is a smack upside the head. What a moron.

elliem87
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM
How did he get money to sue?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SoKamele
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Gosh...lawyers will do anything for a buck.

what an idiot.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Sooooo, how's he gunna pay the lawyer when he doesn't win?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)