Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

daughters of career SAHM's...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 196 Replies

I read this today and I have to say... I agree!

******************************************************************************************************************

Working Mothers Set an Example

As a mother of daughters, I am keenly aware that my life choices will be their first model when they venture out into the world. They may choose differently, but their point of comparison will be the decisions I made about my career and family.

So while I hope they understand that family is my top priority, I also love that they see me having a professional life that is rewarding and important. It's healthy for children not to be the only focus of their mom's life -- that's way too much pressure. They need the room to make mistakes and learn from them without mom always hovering nearby.

The same holds true for moms of boys. If boys are going to grow up to respect women as equal contributors to the workplace, it helps for them to see their mom in that role.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Thoughts?????  BTW... I was a SAHM for 7 years and actually chose to go back to work partially because I wanted my DD to see that women can, and do, play many roles.... to lead by example and show her that, as a mother, she will have choices in life. Sure, I could have told her, but I think it's important to lead by example.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kitchen.ninja
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
11 moms liked this
I think a SAHM can have a life outside their children.

Children can look toward whichever parent has a career as an example.

Seeing a mother who respects themsellf as well as get respect from other family members will teach boys to respect women. Whether or not mom has a job does not matter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I disagree.  My mom was a working mom.  I'm a SAHM.  I plan on raising my children to make the choices best for them.  I'm currently teaching them (and have been) to think about the follow through.  To predict what their choice will lead to and take it all the way to the end result(s).  

They definitely make mistakes and I don't hover.  Just because I'm a SAHM doesn't mean I'm up their butts.

My husband's mother was a working mom.  We both agreed that it would be best for our family to be a SAHM.  Even now that they're in school.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

tennisgal
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM
3 moms liked this

disagree 100%

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I absolutely agree here.

Quoting kitchen.ninja:

I think a SAHM can have a life outside their children.

Children can look toward whichever parent has a career as an example.

Seeing a mother who respects then self as well as get respect from other family members will teach boys to respect women. Whether or not mom has a job does not matter.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

eh my mom was a SAHM & she still was never around. . .I'm a SAHM & do my best to actually spend time with my kids . I am NOT saying working mom's dont, but I just mean my mom was a SAHM who still didn't spend time with us.

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I agree. My mom was a working mom. I have ambition, dreams, goals, ect. I couldnt imagine just being a sahm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls get to see both sides of the coin.  I work from home FT and I take care of them, HS and just about everything else.  They will have to make the choice that is right for them when they are adults, but I want them to be well informed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I chose to stay home with my children.  I wanted them to know how important they are to our family.  I wanted to be the mom with the kool aid yard and I was.  I have 3 grown children today.  All 3 including my DD ( she's a teacher with a masters degree) are well employed, contributing members of society.  Thoughts?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM
7 moms liked this
Yet another way to bash SAHMs. Nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Do you think it would have been different otherwise?

I know many women who's mothers were SAHM's and, as a result, that is all these women knew and their goal in life was to be SAHM's like their mothers before them. I respect those decisions... but, had their mothers chosen to have a career after the kids were all in school, imagine how different their lives would be?

This is why I wanted to go back to work. I want my DD to see me in both roles... and have more to reflect on when making that decision for herself.

Quoting numonestunar:

I agree. My mom was a working mom. I have ambition, dreams, goals, ect. I couldnt imagine just being a sahm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)