Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of people with 10+ kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone has their own way of doing things. How can you give your attention to 10+kids?

I have seen that 19 kids and counting show. It always looks like the older kids are helping out the younger kids. I understand that is a lot of kids and surely the mom would need some help.

Is that fair to the older kids though? Is it fair to the younger kids to depend on older siblings much of the time?

I am not bashing anyone. I am really trying to understand. If you have a lot of kids, please enlighten me

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
marihla
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I think Michelle must literally beat Jim to keep him focused.

Quoting tharealty2:

I don't have an issue with it - in fact I think 19 kids and counting is a model of how all families should be regardless of size.  So the older kids help out - good!  When they move out and have their own families they are more than prepared.  They all seem so well behaved and balanced.  I WISH I was as good a parent as Jim and Michelle are, though I think Michelle beats Jim out the water, lol.

littlesippycup
Dating Naked is hilarious!!
Today at 1:12 AM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I think damn.

Nickie76
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I have 7. I don't allow my older kids to "raise" thier siblings. They have normal chores and thats it. No PA either, DH and I don't buy much for ourselves but our kids have what they need :) I didn't have a family growing up and now I have the best. I adore my kids. ( fyi got my tubes tied) I'm done lol no 19 kids here!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I think "broodmares" we have quite a few at dd's school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM
My cousins (two of them) both have 7kids (one male cousin all7 different women) & (one female cousin like 4 to 5different men for the fathers.)
& I just bite my tonuge.
Nickie76
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I gotta say though, I do like the Duggars. Lol.

Quoting Nickie76:

I have 7. I don't allow my older kids to "raise" thier siblings. They have normal chores and thats it. No PA either, DH and I don't buy much for ourselves but our kids have what they need :) I didn't have a family growing up and now I have the best. I adore my kids. ( fyi got my tubes tied) I'm done lol no 19 kids here!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I have 2 arms so I had 2 kids. I'm sure its possible to have more and give them enough attention, but I couldn't do it. There is no way you can provide enough 1 on 1 time for 10+ kids in a day.

biomom1437
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM

my grandfather on my dads side was one of 16 children.  and i personally think people should stop at 5 kids because I am related to literly everyone in a 3 to 5 county area.   well maybe not everyone but people come up to me in the store or in public all the time and say hey i'm so and so i think we're cousins.  and i didn't know it until my dad said something but i dated one of my cousins accidently.  and when my aunt found out i dated my cousin she was pissed.  we didn't do anything though just kissin.  so ya when people have tons of kids i don't think they relize what their kids will go through in the furture. oh and please don't bash me for dating my cousin as it turned out he was shirt tail anyway so.... so now i make sure i check with my family b4 i decide to date anyone locally.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

From what I've read the mom on 19 kids and counting assigns an older kid to a younger kid so those kids are actually raising each other. You are right about that. I got pregnant too soon after my middle son and I've always felt GUI.ty that I couldn't let the middle one be a baby for as long as he should have been able to. For instance my Dr told me to wean him and of all 3 of my kuds he enjoyed nursing the most.  The families with 10 or more children are ok with me as long as we're not paying for them. But I wouldn't want to have that many or be one of their kids . I can't imagine the kids getting the kind of attention they need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM
I think it's awesome! I've always been a little jealous of people that have a lot of kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)