Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think my kids might be the only ones...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

Who have zero interest in Disney or even going to Disney world! They're 9yro, 9yro and 6yro. 

What brought it up is that so many people we know are going to Disney world this year. As parents, we know that we will eventually have to make that trip lol. So, we started looking and talking about maybe next summer. 

While looking around, I stumbled upon some deals for Atlantis in the Bahamas. DH has been dying to take the kids there for years! I love the Bahamas, but thought that the kids were a little young yet.

While I was looking, one of my 9yro asked about it.of course, all of the kids stumbled in to see what we were doing. They all agree, they'd rather go to Atlantis than Disney World! 

Cool!

Hiwever, all of our Disney-loving friends and family think we're crazy and that there must be something wrong with our kids because they aren't into anything Disney lol.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
To each their own, Atlantis looks awesome. My poor two year old is already indoctrinated though :/ She's known to say out of the blue 'I'm going to hurry up and finish my work because I need to go to Disneyland'

*shes also quite a precocious talker
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM
What does the r in 9yro stand for?
EveyTri
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Same here. Though I've gone out of my way to keep the "princess" shit out of my daughter's life, so I guess I've somewhat cultivated that distaste for Disney.

I don't like anything about Disney. They co-opt culture, they reinforce gender roles and bad cultural/racial/national stereotypes, they have nearly single-handedly destroyed great amounts of folklore and have indoctrinated generations into complacency with their versions of Cinderella, Little Mermaid, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Quoting EveyTri:

Same here. Though I've gone out of my way to keep the "princess" shit out of my daughter's life, so I guess I've somewhat cultivated that distaste for Disney.

I don't like anything about Disney. They co-opt culture, they reinforce gender roles and bad cultural/racial/national stereotypes, they have nearly single-handedly destroyed great amounts of folklore and have indoctrinated generations into complacency with their versions of Cinderella, Little Mermaid, etc.

See, I'm the opposite. I grew up with it. My family is sorta cultish about the whole Disney thing, actually. We're the family who really does randomly break out in song, usually something Disney. In fact, we're all share holders lol. 

But our kids don't care. When they were little, they preferred Moose J Moose over Mickey. And the only Disney movie that they've ever actually wanted to see in theaters is Cars. We have a couple of them, but only because I bought them lol. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

What does the r in 9yro stand for?

Ummm... "9 years old."

The abbreviations for years is yrs. since I am saying "my 9 year old..." I went with 9yro and dropped the s. 

pickles326
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Disney world is just an over priced crowded amusement park itsbetter to take them somewhere they want to go then drag them on a trip they are not interested in going!

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I think I was sort of like that as a kid.  All of my friends were going to Disney World and we weren't.  I think my mom worried that I'd be upset or jealous, but I truly wasn't.  Just wasn't that into it.  I went when I was older (16) with some friends and enjoyed it, but I still am not one of those Disney-freaks.  It's a very cool place, but there are many very cool places to see on this Earth.  If your kids are excited about Atlantis, go for it!

anitarichman
by Anita on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM

My dd's and I would prefer Atlantis or a cruise over Disney or Universal too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM
"They co-opt"?

What do you mean by this? Please explain.

Quoting EveyTri:

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM
We have looked at Atlantis I don't like the limited options for food but do love the kids clubs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)