Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was a weird homeschooled kid. Ask me anything.

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Replies (21-30):
Schmoopi
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

WHY were you homeschooled? And were you taken to any home school groups so you could at least socialize a little?

Bethie_perez
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Me too
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Schmoopi:

WHY were you homeschooled? And were you taken to any home school groups so you could at least socialize a little?

I was homeschooled mainly for religious reasons to shelter me from "worldly influences." We did belong to a homeschool group called L.E.A.H. (Loving Education At Home). It was, as you say, "a little" socialization. The thing is, the kids I spent time with there were very much like my family. I ended up dating one of the boys when I was older. But I didn't socialize with many kids with different belief systems and lifestyles. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Some neighbors and friends around here are home schooling and my dh always thinks the kids will be weird. It seems like more and more people are doing it, so I don't see it as a big deal, I am just always curious as to why. I also think they have a lot of patience, bc it sounds like a lot of work. They are all religious, so I guess that has a lot to do with it.

My one neighbor sees me running here and there for sporting events of my kids and said, "I hope my children are never interested in that kind of thing. I will do my best to make sure they don't know stuff like that exists for them." I didn't have the courage to ask what the big deal was with kids being in sports. Her church also doesn't accept Halloween and when my dd mentioned Santa Claus to her kids, her kids asked who that was, and she responded, "We don't believe in that kind of stuff." -That's why my dh thinks she is going to have socially awkward kids bc she is keeping them in a ball away from anyone with beliefs other than her and her church.

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Anonymous:

What was your parent's reason for home schooling? Do you home school your kids? If not, what do you think of parents that home school now?

My parents began homeschooling us for religious reasons. It was very popular in our church. Part of the "train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." They did have other reasons. We were very low income and saved money by homeschooling. They also liked having their kids at home. 

I send my daughter to public school. I would consider a Montessori school if we had one in the area, but homeschooling would be a last resort. My daughter is a lot like me: shy and sensitive. The socialization in public school benefits her so far. She has made some good friendships and has come out of her shell a bit.

I think that some parents homeschool for good reasons and some do not. Protecting your kid from "worldly" kids with different belief systems is not a good reason to homeschool. I also think parents should consider their own level of education and ability to teach. (You can be very intelligent, but have a hard time conveying that knowledge). If you can't teach a subject, hire a tutor! Cyber schooling also seems like a good idea. 

Schmoopi
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I went to a Southern Baptist College where a lot of my peers were either home schooled or small church schooled for the same reason as you. The only problems I see with that? You live in a VERY protected bubble. The reaction of a lot of people was to run wild because it was their first taste of freedom. It also left many people being very niave. The world is not all about a bubble, unfortunately. I think home schooling is ok as long as children get out and involved with people and are exposed to different beliefs, cultures, thoughts...

I wonder what your world is like now. Do you make friends easily?

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Schmoopi:

I was homeschooled mainly for religious reasons to shelter me from "worldly influences." We did belong to a homeschool group called L.E.A.H. (Loving Education At Home). It was, as you say, "a little" socialization. The thing is, the kids I spent time with there were very much like my family. I ended up dating one of the boys when I was older. But I didn't socialize with many kids with different belief systems and lifestyles. 

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I think your DH is absolutely right. Those kids will struggle when they are older like I did, or they will just remain closed-minded with a very insulated worldview. 

That's one of my reasons for making this post. I keep seeing homeschool moms post things like "the unsocialized homeschooled kid is a myth." Sorry, but was a reality for me and continues to be a reality for other (not all) kids today. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Some neighbors and friends around here are home schooling and my dh always thinks the kids will be weird. It seems like more and more people are doing it, so I don't see it as a big deal, I am just always curious as to why. I also think they have a lot of patience, bc it sounds like a lot of work. They are all religious, so I guess that has a lot to do with it.

My one neighbor sees me running here and there for sporting events of my kids and said, "I hope my children are never interested in that kind of thing. I will do my best to make sure they don't know stuff like that exists for them." I didn't have the courage to ask what the big deal was with kids being in sports. Her church also doesn't accept Halloween and when my dd mentioned Santa Claus to her kids, her kids asked who that was, and she responded, "We don't believe in that kind of stuff." -That's why my dh thinks she is going to have socially awkward kids bc she is keeping them in a ball away from anyone with beliefs other than her and her church.

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Anonymous:

What was your parent's reason for home schooling? Do you home school your kids? If not, what do you think of parents that home school now?

My parents began homeschooling us for religious reasons. It was very popular in our church. Part of the "train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." They did have other reasons. We were very low income and saved money by homeschooling. They also liked having their kids at home. 

I send my daughter to public school. I would consider a Montessori school if we had one in the area, but homeschooling would be a last resort. My daughter is a lot like me: shy and sensitive. The socialization in public school benefits her so far. She has made some good friendships and has come out of her shell a bit.

I think that some parents homeschool for good reasons and some do not. Protecting your kid from "worldly" kids with different belief systems is not a good reason to homeschool. I also think parents should consider their own level of education and ability to teach. (You can be very intelligent, but have a hard time conveying that knowledge). If you can't teach a subject, hire a tutor! Cyber schooling also seems like a good idea. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Quoting Schmoopi:

I went to a Southern Baptist College where a lot of my peers were either home schooled or small church schooled for the same reason as you. The only problems I see with that? You live in a VERY protected bubble. The reaction of a lot of people was to run wild because it was their first taste of freedom. It also left many people being very niave. The world is not all about a bubble, unfortunately. I think home schooling is ok as long as children get out and involved with people and are exposed to different beliefs, cultures, thoughts...

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Schmoopi:

I can totally see that.  Heck, I saw that with the Catholic school girls who switched to public school in 9th grade.  It was so obvious that they were experiencing their first taste of freedom.

I also think the bubble concept is dangerous.  Are the kids going to homeWORK as adults?  Yes, I know that some people telecommute but it's still not the norm.  You need to learn to interact with others, including those you don't necessarily like or agree with--I think homeschoolings lacks that fundamental experience.

MrsVolle0904
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
See, I don't think my situation is the same. I wasn't "homeschooled," but once I got into high school, I transferred out and started online cyber schooling. That's not the same, is it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

hehe I was public schooled and I'm very weird ;) 

Quoting fraujones:

I can't speak for every homeschooled kid, but for me and several homeschooled kids I know, it was the lack of socialization. It's not just a myth. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why ARE homeschooled kids so weird?

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I have friends, but I'm an introvert, so I don't make friends easily. I've had people tell me that they thought I was a snob until they got to know me. 

My reaction was the same as many of your peers. I was drunk on the freedom in college and made some poor choices without understanding what the consequences would be. 

Quoting Schmoopi:

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Schmoopi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured