Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was a weird homeschooled kid. Ask me anything.

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Replies (31-40):
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

oh and my daughter loves the pic in your OP. she LOVES cats.

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Weird bc you were raised weird or just bc of the location ofyour schooling ? I havent met any weird ones yet and wish i had time and brains to hs mine
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

While I'm sure it is possible for homeschoolers to be isolated and weird, in my limited experience it doesn't seem to be a majority. I was friends with several homeschoolers in high school. They were all less awkward, weird, immature, and naive than I was/am, and I went to public school (and my parents are not weird at all).

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I know my homeschooled ex-boyfriend struggled with that when he went to college. All of us were told how advanced we were compared to our publicly schooled peers. This was not good for us. For example, my homeschooled boyfriend was very smart, but didn't seem to understand that you had to prove that to your professors. They weren't automatically going to know it. You had to show up for class. Participate. And then there was the realization that there are a  lot of publicly schooled kids who are just as smart as you are in college. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schmoopi:

I went to a Southern Baptist College where a lot of my peers were either home schooled or small church schooled for the same reason as you. The only problems I see with that? You live in a VERY protected bubble. The reaction of a lot of people was to run wild because it was their first taste of freedom. It also left many people being very niave. The world is not all about a bubble, unfortunately. I think home schooling is ok as long as children get out and involved with people and are exposed to different beliefs, cultures, thoughts...

I wonder what your world is like now. Do you make friends easily?

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Schmoopi:

WHY were you homeschooled? And were you taken to any home school groups so you could at least socialize a little?

I was homeschooled mainly for religious reasons to shelter me from "worldly influences." We did belong to a homeschool group called L.E.A.H. (Loving Education At Home). It was, as you say, "a little" socialization. The thing is, the kids I spent time with there were very much like my family. I ended up dating one of the boys when I was older. But I didn't socialize with many kids with different belief systems and lifestyles. 

I can totally see that.  Heck, I saw that with the Catholic school girls who switched to public school in 9th grade.  It was so obvious that they were experiencing their first taste of freedom.

I also think the bubble concept is dangerous.  Are the kids going to homeWORK as adults?  Yes, I know that some people telecommute but it's still not the norm.  You need to learn to interact with others, including those you don't necessarily like or agree with--I think homeschoolings lacks that fundamental experience.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM

So, based on your experience of being homeschooled, are you anti homeschooling today?

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

yeah. Most my friends who are homeschooled you would never know it unless they told you. I was more socially awkard (public schooled) than they ever were.

Quoting A_McCool:

While I'm sure it is possible for homeschoolers to be isolated and weird, in my limited experience it doesn't seem to be a majority. I was friends with several homeschoolers in high school. They were all less awkward, weird, immature, and naive than I was/am, and I went to public school (and my parents are not weird at all).

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I sent my daughter to a private, Montessori school for her first 4 years. Transitioning into a public school was HARD to say the least. It was a bubble of sorts and I have no regrets. Montessori teaches them to be independent in actions and thoughts.

I hope as an adult you realize it's ok to embrace people with different thoughts, background, and beliefs. You sound like an incredibly nice person.

Quoting fraujones:

I have friends, but I'm an introvert, so I don't make friends easily. I've had people tell me that they thought I was a snob until they got to know me. 

My reaction was the same as many of your peers. I was drunk on the freedom in college and made some poor choices without understanding what the consequences would be. 

Quoting Schmoopi:

I went to a Southern Baptist College where a lot of my peers were either home schooled or small church schooled for the same reason as you. The only problems I see with that? You live in a VERY protected bubble. The reaction of a lot of people was to run wild because it was their first taste of freedom. It also left many people being very niave. The world is not all about a bubble, unfortunately. I think home schooling is ok as long as children get out and involved with people and are exposed to different beliefs, cultures, thoughts...

I wonder what your world is like now. Do you make friends easily?

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Schmoopi:

WHY were you homeschooled? And were you taken to any home school groups so you could at least socialize a little?

I was homeschooled mainly for religious reasons to shelter me from "worldly influences." We did belong to a homeschool group called L.E.A.H. (Loving Education At Home). It was, as you say, "a little" socialization. The thing is, the kids I spent time with there were very much like my family. I ended up dating one of the boys when I was older. But I didn't socialize with many kids with different belief systems and lifestyles. 

A_McCool
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I think a lot of the weird homeschooler perception amongst people is confirmation bias.  They think homeschoolers are weird so they only notice the weird ones.  Or they come across someone weird and ask if he/she was homeschooled.  The person says he/she was and that confirms the perception.  However, they could  come across 15 "normal" people that were homeschooled and not even notice them.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

yeah. Most my friends who are homeschooled you would never know it unless they told you. I was more socially awkard (public schooled) than they ever were.

Quoting A_McCool:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
If thats the case, then your parents didnt do it right.

Quoting fraujones:

I can't speak for every homeschooled kid, but for me and several homeschooled kids I know, it was the lack of socialization. It's not just a myth. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why ARE homeschooled kids so weird?

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Quoting MrsVolle0904:

See, I don't think my situation is the same. I wasn't "homeschooled," but once I got into high school, I transferred out and started online cyber schooling. That's not the same, is it?

I think cyber school sounds really cool and like more of a thorough education than I had. Did you still have friends?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)