Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was a weird homeschooled kid. Ask me anything.

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Replies (41-50):
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I realize you're only one person, but the explicit and honest nature of this post is incredibly refreshing. 

eirejade
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
I'm weird because that's who I am...so is my fiance who was in public school! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

So do I! My SIL thinks this pic is funny too and she's a homeschooler :)

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

oh and my daughter loves the pic in your OP. she LOVES cats.

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Both ;) My parents sheltered me. 

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Weird bc you were raised weird or just bc of the location ofyour schooling ? I havent met any weird ones yet and wish i had time and brains to hs mine

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Did you graduate?
MrsVolle0904
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I did still have my friends from when I was in the public school here. I also made friends over the computer. They all lived in different parts of the state, so I never met them, but they were pretty cool. I liked the fact that I had my own schedule. I was able to do everything I wanted, at any time, as long as I got my work done. If yur going to do cyber school for yur kids, make sure yu stay on them, check to make sure they do their work, keep a good schedule. That will all help yur child succeed. Plus, it gives a few more options on classes, IMO

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting MrsVolle0904:

See, I don't think my situation is the same. I wasn't "homeschooled," but once I got into high school, I transferred out and started online cyber schooling. That's not the same, is it?

I think cyber school sounds really cool and like more of a thorough education than I had. Did you still have friends?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Quoting fraujones:

I know my homeschooled ex-boyfriend struggled with that when he went to college. All of us were told how advanced we were compared to our publicly schooled peers. This was not good for us. For example, my homeschooled boyfriend was very smart, but didn't seem to understand that you had to prove that to your professors. They weren't automatically going to know it. You had to show up for class. Participate. And then there was the realization that there are a  lot of publicly schooled kids who are just as smart as you are in college. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schmoopi:

I went to a Southern Baptist College where a lot of my peers were either home schooled or small church schooled for the same reason as you. The only problems I see with that? You live in a VERY protected bubble. The reaction of a lot of people was to run wild because it was their first taste of freedom. It also left many people being very niave. The world is not all about a bubble, unfortunately. I think home schooling is ok as long as children get out and involved with people and are exposed to different beliefs, cultures, thoughts...

I wonder what your world is like now. Do you make friends easily?

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Schmoopi:

WHY were you homeschooled? And were you taken to any home school groups so you could at least socialize a little?

I was homeschooled mainly for religious reasons to shelter me from "worldly influences." We did belong to a homeschool group called L.E.A.H. (Loving Education At Home). It was, as you say, "a little" socialization. The thing is, the kids I spent time with there were very much like my family. I ended up dating one of the boys when I was older. But I didn't socialize with many kids with different belief systems and lifestyles. 

I can totally see that.  Heck, I saw that with the Catholic school girls who switched to public school in 9th grade.  It was so obvious that they were experiencing their first taste of freedom.

I also think the bubble concept is dangerous.  Are the kids going to homeWORK as adults?  Yes, I know that some people telecommute but it's still not the norm.  You need to learn to interact with others, including those you don't necessarily like or agree with--I think homeschoolings lacks that fundamental experience.

This may be difficult to answer, so if you don't want to I understand.  But did you feel that your parent(s) were/was QUALIFIED to teach you?  That's the other thing that I can't get past.  I'm a lawyer.  I'm a good lawyer.  But I'd never presume that I could teach.  I'm not trained to teach.  And even the best teachers at my public high school taught ONE subject.  How does a parent know all those subjects to the same extent that 6 or 7 different teachers did?

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I hate hearing things like this. I homeschool my son but not for religious reasons. It's mainly for medical reasons but he did go to PS until 2nd grade. He was more weird then. LOL We are just average normal people though and ds is allowed to hang out with whomever he likes. We do things with the homeschool group and he also has friends in PS and private school so I'm not too worried about that for him.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some neighbors and friends around here are home schooling and my dh always thinks the kids will be weird. It seems like more and more people are doing it, so I don't see it as a big deal, I am just always curious as to why. I also think they have a lot of patience, bc it sounds like a lot of work. They are all religious, so I guess that has a lot to do with it.

My one neighbor sees me running here and there for sporting events of my kids and said, "I hope my children are never interested in that kind of thing. I will do my best to make sure they don't know stuff like that exists for them." I didn't have the courage to ask what the big deal was with kids being in sports. Her church also doesn't accept Halloween and when my dd mentioned Santa Claus to her kids, her kids asked who that was, and she responded, "We don't believe in that kind of stuff." -That's why my dh thinks she is going to have socially awkward kids bc she is keeping them in a ball away from anyone with beliefs other than her and her church.

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Anonymous:

What was your parent's reason for home schooling? Do you home school your kids? If not, what do you think of parents that home school now?

My parents began homeschooling us for religious reasons. It was very popular in our church. Part of the "train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." They did have other reasons. We were very low income and saved money by homeschooling. They also liked having their kids at home. 

I send my daughter to public school. I would consider a Montessori school if we had one in the area, but homeschooling would be a last resort. My daughter is a lot like me: shy and sensitive. The socialization in public school benefits her so far. She has made some good friendships and has come out of her shell a bit.

I think that some parents homeschool for good reasons and some do not. Protecting your kid from "worldly" kids with different belief systems is not a good reason to homeschool. I also think parents should consider their own level of education and ability to teach. (You can be very intelligent, but have a hard time conveying that knowledge). If you can't teach a subject, hire a tutor! Cyber schooling also seems like a good idea. 

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not anti-homeschooling, but I am wary of it. I will admit that I have negative associations about it, based on my experience and from others I have known. If a person is homeschooling for religious reasons, for example, I wonder if they are sheltering their kids. I wonder if their kids are happy. Because while I was being homeschooled, I would say I was to strangers because it was expected, though that is not how I felt. 

However, I can recognize that some parents are good at it and it seems beneficial for their kids. For example, I have a friend who was enrolled in cyber school for high school and she doesn't seem to have the same issues. She's the daughter of a UU minister. She is arguably weird too, but in a positive quirky way. 

There are also some really crappy school systems out there, and I can see why parents would choose to homeschool when they are in that situation. 

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

So, based on your experience of being homeschooled, are you anti homeschooling today?

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Thank you for your kind words. I actually wish there was a Montessori school in my area. I think my oldest daughter would thrive in one. 

Quoting Schmoopi:

I sent my daughter to a private, Montessori school for her first 4 years. Transitioning into a public school was HARD to say the least. It was a bubble of sorts and I have no regrets. Montessori teaches them to be independent in actions and thoughts.

I hope as an adult you realize it's ok to embrace people with different thoughts, background, and beliefs. You sound like an incredibly nice person.

Quoting fraujones:

I have friends, but I'm an introvert, so I don't make friends easily. I've had people tell me that they thought I was a snob until they got to know me. 

My reaction was the same as many of your peers. I was drunk on the freedom in college and made some poor choices without understanding what the consequences would be. 

Quoting Schmoopi:

I went to a Southern Baptist College where a lot of my peers were either home schooled or small church schooled for the same reason as you. The only problems I see with that? You live in a VERY protected bubble. The reaction of a lot of people was to run wild because it was their first taste of freedom. It also left many people being very niave. The world is not all about a bubble, unfortunately. I think home schooling is ok as long as children get out and involved with people and are exposed to different beliefs, cultures, thoughts...

I wonder what your world is like now. Do you make friends easily?

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Schmoopi:

WHY were you homeschooled? And were you taken to any home school groups so you could at least socialize a little?

I was homeschooled mainly for religious reasons to shelter me from "worldly influences." We did belong to a homeschool group called L.E.A.H. (Loving Education At Home). It was, as you say, "a little" socialization. The thing is, the kids I spent time with there were very much like my family. I ended up dating one of the boys when I was older. But I didn't socialize with many kids with different belief systems and lifestyles. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)