Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was a weird homeschooled kid. Ask me anything.

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Replies (91-100):
fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I'm not sure it's accredited. But, my mom was good about following state laws, so hopefully it's ok. We were tested every year. 

My husband teaches at a community college. He teaches some public school students through a distance learning class. It's a program where public school kids can get some college credits before graduating. I'll have to ask him about homeschooled high school students. I know he's had several students who were formerly homeschooled. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you mean its not accredited. No, it wouldnt be but there are some public schools not accredited also.
As long as your family followed state laws, it is valid.
Colleges now days look more at SATs and ACT then your high school diploma. Many home school students also do duel classes with a community college while in high school. This helps a lot also.

Quoting fraujones:

My mom literally bought a blank certificate form and filled it out. I don't think it's valid. But, the state school accepted it. I also took the SATs.

Other homeschooled kids I know took the GED test. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you get your high school diploma from your parents? How did they go about to getting it?

Quoting fraujones:

Yes. I went to a state college. I have my MA in English and Communications. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you graduate?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I will say the home-schooled kids, now adults I know and unfortunately work with do not adapt well to change

fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I was like that until I started watching movies and listening to music behind my parents' back. But yeah, there are a lot of pop culture references from my teens I still don't get.  

Quoting Pooobaihr:

Every homeschooled kid I knew are total weirdos. lol. I love them to death though, but yeah, I had to give them the side eye plenty of times.  Its also hard trying to relate to them.  One of my friends was not only homeschooled but also sheltered from a lot of TV and Movies.  So now, we're both in our mid to late 20s, any movie I bring up that's super old, she has no earthly idea what I'm talking about. I can't talk about anything media related or pop culture at all with her because she just doesn't know.  lol Kinda limits conversation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Excellent post, OP. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bellebean10
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

How did you learn to socialize after you left the house and was it a huge shock? I ask because our neighbors home school and the kids rarely leave the house and run when they see us. We tryed to be friends but I kept "offending" the mom so now we just live side-by-side in awkwardness.

blueeyedpixie
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I was homeschooled part of my life but I switched between schools and homeschool 13 times from K-12. Between moving, my mom not liking the teacher or me not liking the school(I was picked on for being poor and the preachers kid)...

I did play soccer up till high school but didn't make a lot of friends because I was always moving around... I still don't have friends and that could be why...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Babujai:

I haven't read thru all the pages so I'm sorry if this is a repeat question.  My sister is a weird homeschooled child and she resents my dad quite a bit for not letting her go to school and my mom for not stopping my dad.  Do you resent your parents?

Yes, I did harbor a lot of resentment for years. But now I'm older and I've tried to move on. I have a good relationship with my mom. My dad passed in 2008 and I miss him very much.

I just feel like I missed out on a lot. I mean, I know there were bad things I missed out on too. But, I did go to school from K-5th, and while I was there, my teachers loved me and were so supportive. We were very poor, and my music teacher was going to start giving me free piano lessons because she thought I was talented. 

Then my parents started homeschooling me in 6th grade through 12th. It felt like so many opportunities were lost. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I went to public school and i was totally wierd and not socially acepted. I was bullied a lot in grade school. I've been out of school for a long time and honestly most of the "normal" kids are far from normal or socially well adjusted as adults. Many of them never seem to have left the high school mentality behind.

At one point home school kids didnt socialuze a lot because it was a legal gray area and parents kept kids home to slide under the radar. Thats not an issue anymore. Sure some homeschoolets only hang out with those of the same views but thats no dufferent than kids who go to private religious schools.

My kids have a lot of public school friends in the neighborhood and activities. Plenty of them are just plain wierd. My kids are home schooled, and like most people they have wierd tendencies. Overall they are pretty normal and have a wide variety of friends.

Your inner personality has more to do with how odd you are than the type of schooling you get.

Oh FYI a homschool diploma is as real and legally valid as a public or private school one. Any collge that takes any federal funding must accept it as valid. All branches of the military accept them.
fraujones
by Mommytron on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting Bellebean10:

How did you learn to socialize after you left the house and was it a huge shock? I ask because our neighbors home school and the kids rarely leave the house and run when they see us. We tryed to be friends but I kept "offending" the mom so now we just live side-by-side in awkwardness.

That sucks about your neighbors.

I went to college after high school. At first the girls on my dorm floor were my friends, but I just didn't have a lot in common with them. I really tried. I felt so ridiculous and awkward. Then I made a Russian friend. That friendship worked out perfectly, because in a sense we were both foreigners. Gradually I made a few more friends--punks mostly and other counter-culture kids. 

I had a hard time with boys. Like thinking a guy really liked me and wasn't just after sex. 

I partied a lot and made a lot of stupid choices. I know many kids do that regardless of their background, but I was truly naive about some of the consequences. 

Bellebean10
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Thank you for your answer. :)

Quoting fraujones:

Quoting Bellebean10:

That sucks about your neighbors.

I went to college after high school. At first the girls on my dorm floor were my friends, but I just didn't have a lot in common with them. I really tried. I felt so ridiculous and awkward. Then I made a Russian friend. That friendship worked out perfectly, because in a sense we were both foreigners. Gradually I made a few more friends--punks mostly and other counter-culture kids. 

I had a hard time with boys. Like thinking a guy really liked me and wasn't just after sex. 

I partied a lot and made a lot of stupid choices. I know many kids do that regardless of their background, but I was truly naive about some of the consequences. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured