Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im about ready to give up BF...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Its been so stressful. Baby is eating every hour a lot of times because he keeps falling asleep. I only have one good boob...the other one is way smaller and harder to nurse on ( which is making baby upset) We run a daycare out of the home and DH is ending up doing everything because I'm stuck BF all day. And our baby is becoming colicy.Sometimes I think he goes to the breast for comfort...like when he wants to.eat twice in one hour.

It makes me really sad to even think about quitting. I really don't want to. Especially since he loves it so much. Im trying to pump but I get less than an ounce and only when he is nursing on the other side.

And I'm also not feeling support from DH. I.understand his frustration. He feels helpless. He sees me struggling. Last night I was struggling to nurse with a migraine. To make it worse I started crying. That's when DH broke down and said " maybe its time to quit BF"

Every day I hear negative comments about nurse. So I have my own struggles with BF, the daycare issues and DH who would just rather me quit. Im about ready to give up
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kitschy
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Hang in there. It may just take time or the baby may be having issues with something you are eating. Also if the baby isn't getting enough it will cause more frequent feedings and painful gas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hellomilla
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Keep it up a little longer! At 4 weeks everything was really difficult. I swear it gets better and easier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh also I want to add a lot of bf babies only poop once a week. Don't get freaked out by that.
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I suggest joining a Breastfeeding group. I fully support any woman who chooses to  breastfeed, it can be hard. I also fully support those who choose not too. Give yourself a chance to succeed, and talk with others that are going though the same thing. The BFing group was a HUGE support system for me when I was nursing my son 5 years ago :) Good luck.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine pooped ever Tuesday at 9 am :)

Quoting stickyfingers:

Oh also I want to add a lot of bf babies only poop once a week. Don't get freaked out by that.

momsince04
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Good luck, I get frustrated too, especially in the night when he won't latch properly. You have to do what is best for you, so you can do what is best for your baby. Your baby will be fine if needed to formula. Do not let anyone tell you you are a bad mother for not breast-feeding.

Good luck
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM

yep, 4 weeks is a prime time for a growth spurt. My DS was on my boob for 3 days straight.

I know it is frustrating, but it is also normal (but nobody ever warns you!)

Quoting Anonymous:

Almost 4 weeks

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

how old is the baby?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM
He is almost 4 weeks. I strip him down to his onsie, pick him up, change his diaper ...he just goes into a coma! At the hospital they kept testing his blood sugar because he was so large and jittery.
I started pumping this week. How long does it take to get a good amount? My boob hasn't. Changed at all.

Quoting stickyfingers:

That is totally normal for a newborn. Keep trying to pump and nurse on the side with less, it will start to make more. Nurse on that side first. As far as the amount you get when you pump that is normal too. Baby gets more than when you pump because your body responds to the baby better than the pump. When baby falls asleep try taking off his socks or undressing her. It is hard at first but once the two of you get the hang of it it will be easier.

Dh is frustrated and does have to do more but it's not for you it is for your baby. Don't quit yet give it a couple months. it is so special when the baby sees you and gets all excited and happy when they are going to nurse. How old is your baby?

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

A pump is NO indication of how much baby is getting. A pump works on suction. A baby uses suction and compression. There is not a pump out there that can mimic a baby's suckle. So don't let that bother you. And when people tell you to count the wet dipes, it doesn't mean fully loaded soaking wet dipes. A disposable diaper will absorb several pee's before you can tell its wet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM
He isn't spitting up at all....don't they usually when they have it?

Quoting coala:

Another thing to consider is the possiblity of reflux.  Before you give up please talk the ped before you throw in the towel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)