Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im about ready to give up BF...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Its been so stressful. Baby is eating every hour a lot of times because he keeps falling asleep. I only have one good boob...the other one is way smaller and harder to nurse on ( which is making baby upset) We run a daycare out of the home and DH is ending up doing everything because I'm stuck BF all day. And our baby is becoming colicy.Sometimes I think he goes to the breast for comfort...like when he wants to.eat twice in one hour.

It makes me really sad to even think about quitting. I really don't want to. Especially since he loves it so much. Im trying to pump but I get less than an ounce and only when he is nursing on the other side.

And I'm also not feeling support from DH. I.understand his frustration. He feels helpless. He sees me struggling. Last night I was struggling to nurse with a migraine. To make it worse I started crying. That's when DH broke down and said " maybe its time to quit BF"

Every day I hear negative comments about nurse. So I have my own struggles with BF, the daycare issues and DH who would just rather me quit. Im about ready to give up
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I gave up after 2 months with dd. She was very premature and never latched, so every 2 hours I'd have to pump and feed her. I was getting maybe an hour of sleep at a time. My entire life revolved around my boobs. Nothing else got done. At all.

k.stark
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM

sounds like you're a first time mom.... don'tgive up.. you can do it!! tell DH that no matter how hard it is right now it will get easier and as baby gets older and you want him to support you breastfeeding because it is what is best for your baby..  as baby gets older it is even easier than formula feeding.... One thing I wish I would have been told is how out of whack my hormones would be..... and for 6 weeks after having DS I was a wreck!! I didn't realize it at the time.... but looking back I must have looked like a crazy lady!! :) GL stay strong!! :) we all go through tough times with breastfeeding. :)

ivy801
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Keep pumping, is the only advice I can offer. My sister had no boobies, none but she started pumping for 15 minutes when he didn't eat. My mom was real negative kept telling her she was starving the baby cause she had no supply. I had to threaten my mom with physical damage and banning of my home to get her to shut up. My hubby was very supportive to my sister cause I had done it two years before with my dd and I was a full time pumper for two months due to her not being able to latch on, I wanted to quit so badly and cry about it, I felt like a failure but hubby just would not let me quit I even resented him for it. In the long run after my pump broke I couldn't continue with a hand pump and told hubby I had to quit, he brought me the baby and she latched on. My sister's milk supply increased little by little and soon she had all the milk she needed to feed her baby, he got full. If you do decided to call it quits do it caus eyou want to. My sister and I used an electric pump, hand pumps are a joke in my opinion.

vinalex0581
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this

if you honestly are struggling with this situation, please don't give up.

also, this isn't the group to go to for support or help.

you want to go to this group that i'm involved in called Breastfeeding Moms

Here is the link:

click here

NYChicago
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Don't beat yourself up about it. If you have to, you have to. If you're stressed, the baby is stressed, and it's not good for anyone. He got a lot of the nutrients in the beginning. I was also not built to bf. I had twins and although I tried, they just would not take to it. I didn't produce much, breasts didn't change one bit with pregnancy, and my girls actually would lift up their little necks and shake their heads at me. They weren't supposed to be ABLE to do that so young, but determination is a powerful thing, LOL! They got the collustrum, but basically were formula raised. Now they are tall for their age, smart, talented and athletic. So don't go nuts. Eventually, your little guy will be eating with a fork.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

How old is your LO?  That is a hard position to be in - but, sounds very similar to my situation with my DD (now 7).  She was what her Dr called a "Lazy Eater", she would nurse for a bit, and then fall asleep no matter how hard I tried to wake her up to feed her.  Plus, I had very little luck with pumping as well, and did not get very much whenever I tried. 

I know breast-feeding support has come a long way since she was little, and I do know that I had more success with my DS (21 months) breastfeeding, but even so he only nursed until he was 3 months because I was not able to make enough to sustain him without supplementing with formula.  I also run a home-based child care, and hired on the college-aged daughter of a friend as a "helper" the first summer he was little.  When she went back to school, and I no longer had a helper is when I chose to have him wean.  

Do what you think is best for you and your family!

kiralyn
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
What you are going through is completely normal. Your pump output sounds fine, too! Hang In There, I promise it will get easier. Newborns are tough. You can do this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You have to do what you have to do...but...some babies do nurse every 45minutes to an hour in their first weeks.  One breast being smaller doesn't have to be a problem, you can increase supply there by pumping just that side for a few minutes after he's done with that side.  You can eat oatmeal, drink TONS of water, take green sprout supplements, make lacatation cookies, drink lactation teas and take fenugreek to help increase supply.  As for falling asleep, you have to wake them up sometimes...rub/tickle their feet, wet wipe on the feet/face/back, change a diaper, rub hard on their back, etc.  as for the pacifier not being used...well...many can't hold them in their mouth well until they are a couple months old and some never do and they will use you for comfort, that's what you are there for.  However, if you get a good wrap style carrier you can learn to nurse in it and still have your hands free to do other things.  Skin-to-skin (belly to belly) with you can also help nursing production as well as prompt him to suck better.  Has he been evaluated for tongue-tie?  Is he growing well, peeing 6-12 times per day?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I'm sorry mama. I feel ya. I went thru similar struggles with I was trying to breastfeed my babies. for me it was too hard and overwhelming. it was seriously stressing me out and depressing me. I started supplementing to give myself a break. and I realized more and more breastfeeding just wasn't working and wasn't meant to be. so I gave up and switched. and I have absolutely no regrets. I was so much happier and more relaxed once I stopped breastfeeding. breastfeeding is great and its a wonderful option. but its not the only option. there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving it up if its just not working out. breast is not always best. if its stressing you out that much and causing this many issues, it may be time to at least think about supplementing and see how that goes. good luck :)

KLONG
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Babies go through growth spurts, I think baby is trying to up the supply for an upcoming growth spurt. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)