Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SIL wants us to make her our kids pediatrician

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 246 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do if you were in my situation?

Options:

switch them

Don't switch them

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 536

View Results

I have 6 kids in my home, 2 are mine with my ex, 2 are my brothers, he passed away 3 years ago and their mother lost all rights long before that and 2 are with my DH.

DH's sister just passed her boards and has gotten a place in a pediatrics office. She wants us to switch the kids to her since it would make her look really good to the practice to bring in 6 new patients (she has her DH last name so unless someone did a lot of digging, no one would know they are her nieces and nephews). She is having problems because people make appointments for their kids for specific doctors and currently, she doesn't have any regular patients, she only gets the ones who have to come in last minute (sick visits or the ones who need sports physicals and things).  Currently, her place in the practice only guarantees her a year, at the end of the year, they decide if they want to keep her on.

I don't want to, I am happy with our pediatrician, I went to her when I was a child, she has 25 years experience as a pediatrician and on top of that is a mother and grandmother (I don't care what some people say, being parents make pediatricians better doctors, usually at least).

Dh thinks we should to help his sister out, I just don't think this is the kind of thing you do as a favor. SIL has no experience and I really don't feel comfortable switching them to her.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I wouldn't switch

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

finding a good ped is hard, I drive 1/2 hour to ours. I wouldn't switch if you like who you have.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
17 moms liked this

I would be uncomfortable with that, I dont like to mix business and family if possible....and that is a big commitment especially if she is only guaranteed a year...what if they dont keep her. Then what?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
15 moms liked this

No way in hell.  Total conflict of interest.  I would never consider family as doctors. 

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My SIL is the opposite...she doesnt like treating family members.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM
5 moms liked this

I would switch if I had a SIL. Worse comes to worse and switch back to the old dr.  Why not put family first and help a sister out? 

momsince04
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM
You do as you please. She shouldn't expect to be at the top when she is just starting. I wouldn't switch, and besides you will hve to deal with her telling you what's right and wrong anyways, so no need to make her your pediatrician.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM
8 moms liked this
That is a conflict of interest. She shouldnt ethically be treating family anyways. Tell her no, and stick with the pedi you like
newmom10142011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

like you I take my dd to the same pediatrician i went to as a child and her daughter is even part of the practice now and they are fantastic. i say go with who you are most comfortable with.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I wouldn't switch either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)