Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

need prayers.. positive thoughts, please

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 85 Replies
I am worried about my mom. She is almost 75, and living alone in Ca. I have a cousin who is helping her out tremendously, but my cousin is stretched way too thin. I am incredibly grateful to her for what she has done to help.

My mom keeps falling. The last time, she didnt remember it happening, but she woke up in the hospital with stitches all over everywhere, and a hemotoma on her brain. Shes back home now... alone.
I live in Tx. I am stuck here for the time being, for a lot of reasons. She refuses to move here, and I understand why.

I have 4 sisters who do not speak to my mother. They consider my stepmother to be their mom.
They dont call her, dont visit her, not even a mothers day,or birthday call. My mother has only met 5 of her 11 grandkids.
My point with that is that I cannot trust them to help me with her care. But she needs it.
I love my mom. My sisters are toxic, judgemental Sunday Christians. My mom is a gentle, sensitive woman who doesnt understand why almost all of her kids abandoned her.

I need prayers...thoughts..to help me figure out what to do, and how to handle this...Please?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Thoughts and prayers going up.  *** Hugs ***

mariesmama
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

can you persuade her to move to assisted living she should qualify and sound like it may help

Lindsey6412
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
((hugs))
cinnamonkiti
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
She is at assisted living. She doesnt qualify for the really assisted part for some reason though...

Thank you
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I agree with this, or possibly an in home nurse? Prayers and thoughts op!

Quoting mariesmama:

can you persuade her to move to assisted living she should qualify and sound like it may help

km1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
4 moms liked this

My mother was 72 when she started falling. She fell and broke her hip and ribs. There is a high percentage of elderly patients that will die within the first year after a hip fracture. My mom died 8 months later.

You can get her life alert so she isn't stuck on the floor if she falls and hurts herself. Possibly find a college student who can help care for your mom in exchange for room and board. See if there are adult aging agencies in your mom's area that can help with delivering meals or have people that can come in to check on her.

Hopefully you can find something to put your mind at ease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Not the exact situation, but my husband's grandmother kept falling and we eventually had to put her in assisted living. She's got dementia. I'm not suggesting putting her in a "home" by any means. Assisted living is a lot different than a nursing home as I'm sure you're aware. My husband was having to go pick his grandma up off the floor almost every other day and she was using her life alert button. Broke our hearts to do it as she had to move 2 hours away from us (closer to DH's aunt) but at least we know she's safe and taken care of. 

cinnamonkiti
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
These are all great ideas. Thank you. I have been feeling so helpless about this.

Quoting km1970:

My mother was 72 when she started falling. She fell and broke her hip and ribs. There is a high percentage of elderly patients that will die within the first year after a hip fracture. My mom died 8 months later.

You can get her life alert so she isn't stuck on the floor if she falls and hurts herself. Possibly find a college student who can help care for your mom in exchange for room and board. See if there are adult aging agencies in your mom's area that can help with delivering meals or have people that can come in to check on her.

Hopefully you can find something to put your mind at ease.

JOEJULA
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Thoughts and prayers for you...Where their is a will their is a way

chattycassie
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Will add your and your family to our prayers tonight. I wish you the best keep praying G-d will work something out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)