Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O: of expensive clothes. Purses?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm being genuine here, please someone tell me why you pay $450-1500 for a bag to stuff shit in?

I'm seriously into fashion and trend but to this day...I have yet to carry a label purse. Coach? Louis Vuitton? Michael Kors?

I could get a COMPUTER for that.

If I shopped right, I could buy a CAR! Lol.

I don't think it's wrong, I have my own ridiculous habit of high end makeup...I'm all for spending money on things you enjoy.

I just don't understand prioritizing, of all things...a purse.

Maybe also because I usually just carry my wallet. My ex-h used to laugh about needing to buy me a purse so he wouldn't have to keep his keys and wallet in his pocket. "I probably still wouldn't carry it." I'd tell him. They just seem so cumbersome. All I need is my wallet and some gloss. And MAYBE a powder. And I'm girly, I just get tired of carrying around crap I rarely actually use.

Disclaimer: This isn't a vent post...I'm seriously inquiring. I feel like I'm missing some secret honestly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
VictoriaAnn44
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't get it either. My sister is like that.She will save money for months just for a stupid bag which she already has plenty of.I do like Coach but usually buy when it's on Sale and won't spend more than $200.They will last forever unlike some cheaper ones which easily fall apart.Same thing with shoes.I have friends who buy Louboutins for 800 which kill their feet.It's all for show.

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Lol. I could probably do shoes lol.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I don't. I just am not a purse person. . .now shoes. . .i might lol . . .if i could find a hot pair to fit these fat feet of mine hehe

LadyNCVE
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My limit is $100, and that doesn't mean it's always that much.  Usually a good brand from the outlets. lol. I've learned to appreciate the quality.  They hold up well and last long.  I can't see spending more than that though.  Especially the high end $1500 stuff. I have a friend who has super expenses purses but doesn't necessarily have the "rest" to go with it.  

ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

My friend just bought herself a 2k dollar purse.  It's beautiful.  Heavy duty leather, gunmetal hardware and will last a lifetime.  A purse is something that you can have forever if you buy the right one.  

It's better than having to buy a cheap purse every year.  My mother still uses the leather Coach purse that I bought her 15 years ago.

Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I have carried a purse for years - I"m 56, and have literally carried one every day since I was, oh, about 15.

In it is my wallet, my phone, my keys, sunglasses, advil, tissues, lipstick, eye drops (I wear contacts).  Also some spare contacts.  And I tend to get "larger" purses, so I don't need a bag when I buy things - just stick it all in my purse.  And if I'm traveling (which I do a lot), add my ipod and headphones, and other related travel crap.

That said, I've had a few Coach purses (still have them).  Lots of cheap ones.  But just recently bought a Kate Spade one because I loved it, and I could.  Have yet to use it, it's more of a "summer and spring" type purse, and our weather has been anything but.  Cost me $325, "almost" the most expensive one I've ever owned.

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol. I've never had a tattoo and don't plan on any BUT, I do admire them and IF I were to get one, I would probably spend a large amount. I think expensive tattoos are justifiable. I mean, it's art you're going to have on you FOREVER, it's a good investment to put money into something that should necessarily be quality. I'd never get some $50 tattoo. Lol. Unless the genuinely good tattoo artist was giving me a $500 tattoo out of pure kindness. Lol.

Quoting MissMissfit:

Some people prefer to spend their money on different things. I would never spend more than $50 on a purse, but I spend thousands upon thousands on tattoos. 

To each their own. 

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Honestly, I could even fathom one or two...I guess I just don't understand needing so many when the POINT is supposed to be quality and durability. Lol.

Quoting ardiaxe:

My friend just bought herself a 2k dollar purse.  It's beautiful.  Heavy duty leather, gunmetal hardware and will last a lifetime.  A purse is something that you can have forever if you buy the right one.  

It's better than having to buy a cheap purse every year.  My mother still uses the leather Coach purse that I bought her 15 years ago.

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I like Coach bags.  My grandmother carried them 20 years ago (still does) and she got me hooked.  They remind me of her. 

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM
That right there is the PART I don't get. Like, hello, your $1500 purse looks great with your Walmart shirt. Lol.

I think maybe it's because purses feel like a burden. And they get messy so easily. Can you remove the lining on expensive purses and clean them or? Maybe it's because I'm a makeup addict...and makeup is messy.

Quoting LadyNCVE:

My limit is $100, and that doesn't mean it's always that much.  Usually a good brand from the outlets. lol. I've learned to appreciate the quality.  They hold up well and last long.  I can't see spending more than that though.  Especially the high end $1500 stuff. I have a friend who has super expenses purses but doesn't necessarily have the "rest" to go with it.  

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Good reason, honestly. If it was a commonality that made me feel closer to my grandma, I'd probably also feel much more inclined.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

I like Coach bags.  My grandmother carried them 20 years ago (still does) and she got me hooked.  They remind me of her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured