Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM????

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 207 Replies
5 moms liked this

So ladies I have a question for you? I am a stay at home mother and there for that means only one income providing for this 7 people family. Now we will in the suburbs and it is a nice neighborhood with nice schools. We are not rich by no means however we have learned how to live within our budget. My husband and I share everything including money. He gives me $100 a month just for spending money on the things I want or need. Now what I use this money for is just basically to save in case something pops up or I like to buy things for my house or the kids. I am 24 and I used to love to spoil myself and buy myself this and that. . . Now I always just feel guilty buying myself anything. I am a saver mom and I like to coupon. I never put myself first. So my question is this??? Do you ladies need spending money to spoil yourself? Are you the type of mom that is materialistic?  I was reading a post of a lady that has been given a $65 budget a day and specifies how this is not enough for her a day because she likes to go out to lunch, do hair, and blah blah blah. This is just not me. I mean I maintain my beauty of course however I just know I don't have a job so I feel as if it is wrong to act so selfish. Are there other SAHM out ther that put only there family first?

UPDATE! Thank you ladies for sharing with me I enjoyed chatting with you ^_^ I also would like to note I am not hating on the families that can afford to spend more then myself. . . You go on with your bad self. I am not materialistic nor do I expect my husband to pay me for accomplishing my wonderful mommy duties ^_^ You say a SAHM deserves to buy whatever she wants because of what she does around the house? I simply say my families happiness is all that I ask for. Knowing that I put a smile on my kids face by being there for them anytime they need me and knowing that I am pleasing my man and making him happy is my reward. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and opinions.  OH SORRY LADIES THIS $100 BUDGET IS JUST EXTRA SPENDING MONEY FOR ME. THIS IS NOT FOR GROCERY'S OR TOILETRES OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. JUST FOR ME FOR WHATEVER I WANT OR NEED. MY HUSBAND TAKES CARE OF ALL THE HOUSHOLD THINGS WE NEED AROUND THE HOUSE.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KCayea
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

i thinks thats reasonable. as long as nothing else is shorted. im not a sahm i dont get an allowance. nether does my hubby. if i want something i just let him know and vise versa. after bills and such are paid of course. 65 a day does seem a bit much but if thats what they can afford it dosent make her selfish or a bad person. as long as everything is taken care of

anotherhalf
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I never spent money on myself even when I had a job.  I'm just frugal by nature. 

SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

once i had kids i did the following to save money 

i do my own nails 

i cut my hair and my husbands and my kids 

i color my hair with a 6 dollar box every 4 months 

i make my own curtains, costumes, jammies, 

bath and groom my own pets

and a ton of other simple everyday expenses we either just live without or i do for us instead ---  

when I get extra cash i too spend on something for the kids or house 

2 times a year my husband and I afford a budget for our needs like clothes shoes etc.... 

Caitwald24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
If I ever have extra money I spend it on my daughter. Lol I never buy myself any clothes anymore!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I do put myself first.  Anything else is a sure way to resent your life as years go by.

When I was 24 (well, I had no kids then), I certainly did a lot of things with my money.  Travel for one, one of my favorite things to do.

I consider all the money coming in the house OUR money - not his or mine.  I work just as hard as he does.  He doesn't "give" me money - we're both adults, and know how much is there.  If it wasn't for me handling everything to do with the house and kids (even when they were little), he would not have advanced in his career as he has, earning large bonuses and a very generous salary.  When we were starting out, yes, we struggled - but it was still OUR struggle.

Many times weeks go by without me spending ANY money on myself.  Sometimes, I spend a lot more.  It depends.  Same with him.  I do all the bills, and we have all joint accounts.  If a big bill (like college tuition) is coming up, I'll tell him,so he doesn't think the $7K in the checking account is just for everyday spending.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I really only spend money on groceries. I haven't had new shoes, bras, pants you name it in years. I did buy a few tank tops last summer. My husband has an expensive hobby, that's where all of our "extra" money goes. I'd kill for even $50 a month to use for me.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Family first.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I still go to lunch, get my hair done, ect. I didn't stop being me when I had kids. I am a SAHM but still have a life outside of my family.
Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM

You only get $100 a month? 

indymom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I balance it out.  Bills and my childrens needs always come first, but I absolutely make myself a priority.  Not so much with shopping and lunches, but I have a gym membership and I go every day, I also treat myself to pedicures every month or two.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured