Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH's family thinks I am crazy but

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it weird to cremate a cat you have had for 17 years?

Options:

Yes, bit crazy

no not at all crazy

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 55

View Results

I am having my cat cremated. She was 17 years old and died yesterday, she was my birthday present when I turned 8 years old.  Losing her was really hard but I knew it was coming. I decided that I wanted to have her cremated. For one we live in an apartment so I wouldn't really have any place to bury her and for two, even if w e had somewhere, I just don't like the idea of putting her in the ground to be eaten by worms.

DH mentioned it to his mom and she said that is crazy to spend $150 on that (that included the pick up service, the cremation itself, a really nice urn and the delivery). DH took up for me saying that she was a long time pet and wanting to keep her with me is understandable but apparently now it's a running joke in dh's family. MIL said I should have just thrown her body in the dumpster outside

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I'm going to be so sad when my pets die. I would probably do it too, but more along the lines of spreading the ashes somewhere so I don't have them just sitting in my house.

rockgal81
by Steph on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM
We cremated our family dog. We have a little urn with his ashes and they did a plaster paw print for my dd. I think your mil is heartless. Who throws their family pet in the dumpster?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iwilliams76
by Irene on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Wow, what a bitch! It's not weird at all. I had my daughter's guinea pigs creamated when they died. I plan to cremate my dogs when they die.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I don't think your crazy, but I wouldn't cremate a pet

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM

That was really insensitive of her!

I am not personally a pet lover, but DH and DD both are and I've seen first-hand how they truly become one of the family.  When DH's cat died, they not only cremated her but DH and his brother and mom had a little ceremony for her in the backyard.  It was sweet actually. 

babybelly25
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM

really?? throw her ass in the dumpster when her time comes then... That was a mean thing to say! A pet is a part of the family.. not trash!

Mommy980106
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I do not think you ate crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Your in laws sound like jerks. I'm sorry. You should have him cremated if that's what you want.

FYI: No one should throw dead animals in a dumpster. For many reasons.

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

That's awful of them! Pets can become family too. I think it's nice you want to honor her memory. My friend's Cat also passed away from an illness...There was actually an animal 'funeral home' that provided services-even preparing the body for a viewing. The ashes were arranged to be sent to be made into one of those necklaces that can be made from ashes. My friend treasures the necklace. You are a lovely person for loving your pet so much! sorry for your loss :<

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Not crazy. 

2 years ago, I lost my cats in a fire. Had them 12 years. The vet cremated them for free. We have them in our living room in a pretty little box, together. They were brother/sister from the same litter and we had them since they were 8 weeks old.

I also got a tattoo with their pawprints and names on it. If anyone called me crazy, I'd like to see how they cope with a fire and a loss like we did.

Editing to add the pic, it's distorted from editing the picture, but nonethe less lol it's there. if you're crazy for having your pets cremated, I must be totally nutty! 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN