Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This generation of kids will be.....

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 56 Replies

way more into electronics, in this new age....but i wonder what everyone thinks they will really miss out on.

I  know personally I miss those kid remotes time warner used to have, playing outside all the time because we didnt have the cool games for play station, and of course NOT having a cell phone as a 5 year old

so what do you think kids in this generation will miss out on?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missamanda86
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM
4 moms liked this

I may be one of the few who wont give in to my children, but I refuse to encourage them to become lazy teens and adults. My husband and I have already decided they wont have iPads, computers, cell phones or anything until THEY can pay for it. We have PS3 that they are allowed to play (theyre still young 5, 3 and 9 months) but no tvs in their rooms, or anything like that. If they want to do something, they can color, play with toys, go outside if the weather is good...I dont see my kids missing out on anything really

mashton2612
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I like this a lot :-) 

Quoting missamanda86:

I may be one of the few who wont give in to my children, but I refuse to encourage them to become lazy teens and adults. My husband and I have already decided they wont have iPads, computers, cell phones or anything until THEY can pay for it. We have PS3 that they are allowed to play (theyre still young 5, 3 and 9 months) but no tvs in their rooms, or anything like that. If they want to do something, they can color, play with toys, go outside if the weather is good...I dont see my kids missing out on anything really

iuangina
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I personally believe that it is important for kids to learn how to use this technology, but I think it needs to be done carefully.  My son will have access to these things, but only with supervision.  In my opinion, I think it's more important to play outside, and play with others than play with technology by themselves in their room.  No TVs will be in the bedrooms.  

missamanda86
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Thank you :)...I was brought up like that. We didnt have tvs and things in our rooms, we played outside ALL day lol, and me and my siblings are fine. I look at my step sister and brother who are catered to, and get whatever they want and they are lazy and my sister is overweight because she refuses to do anything but sit in front of the tv, eat and play on her wii...and my SM lets her. So...yeah lol

Quoting mashton2612:

I like this a lot :-) 

Quoting missamanda86:

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

This!

I recognize the fact that technology is a vital role in their development today.  After all, that is where we are and where we are headed so I think it's important that they know it and are exposed to it.  However, I think it should be done with caution and parents need to find a balance. 

They should have access to technology, but I believe in limiting it - especially when they are much younger.  I think that many kids today do not develop the proper social skills they need due to the fact that they don't have to - all their interaction is via text, computer, video gaming, etc...I think that is unhealthy and you are doing your child a disservice by not limiting it.  I still believe in playing outside and exploring and museums and zoos, but using technology to supplement that. 

Quoting iuangina:

I personally believe that it is important for kids to learn how to use this technology, but I think it needs to be done carefully.  My son will have access to these things, but only with supervision.  In my opinion, I think it's more important to play outside, and play with others than play with technology by themselves in their room.  No TVs will be in the bedrooms.  

kzuehlk
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
My 8yo SS has a cell phone, but he only uses it on weekends when he is with his mom. She is a disaster and there have been many times when he needed to call us to come get him, but couldn't. We feel safer knowing he has it with him just in case.

Other than that, my kids don't really play with electronics. The only game system we have is a DS and that is limited. Neither of them are allowed to use our home computer. They would rather be outside in the dirt or building/destroying things with their legos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

My kids are growing up the same way I did. There is a foot of snow outside and it's 35 degrees...and they're right now in the street playing hockey. 

So...nothing. 

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I think they will be a bunch of lazy whiners. Everything is too easy for,them. Everyone makes the team, even if they cant play. They dont go outside to play. Parents hoover too much. Its sad. Kids now ate too lazy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I agree. we wont have tvs in rooms. and it will be awhile before i even want my kids to have cell phones. but i think it's important to know how to use the tech. and safetly. our school is trying to get ipads and stuff for the students so we'll see.

Quoting iuangina:

UnFFnStoppable4
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
My 8 year old has a DS that she hardly plays. She'd much rather be out riding her bike or playing with toys.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)