Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Young children and caps on their teeth???

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM
  • 47 Replies

Has anyone had to get their child(ren)'s teeth capped at a young age? (Under 2)

How did you feel about them having to be put under with a general anesthesia? What was it like after the surgery?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM

What do you mean by capped?

My kids have had their teeth sealed but that doesn't required them to be put under.

IFartGlitter
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My son will probably have some caps here soon. My daughter at 2 had a couple teeth extracted and some cavities filled-- both procedures called for anesthesia. It was fine once my daughter was asleep, but getting her down was scary. After surgery was minimal issues... codeine to help with pain for like 2 days and she was pretty sleepy, but soon back to her usual self.

Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I had my whole mouth capped at 2 due to an accident, but I don't remember :) here's a bump.

blue_elephant
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I had to do this when my son was 4, he has 8 metal caps total, 4 on top and 4 on bottom, and yes I brushed his teeth twice a day everyday he just has bad enamel and teeth. It wasn't bad, when he woke up from the anesthesia he was cranky, tired, and whiney, but it wasn't horrible. And I cried when they wheeled him back for surgery. But it wasn't bad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blue_elephant
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Capped is like a 'fake' tooth, its not a filling or a sealer it is a cap that goes over the tooth most often it is metal but sometimes they are white

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

What do you mean by capped?

My kids have had their teeth sealed but that doesn't required them to be put under.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

My ds 3 just had a cap put on 1 tooth a week ago due to an infection under his gumline. Anyway, the dentist gave me a valium to give him 30 min before the appt. I did, then brought him in (he was loopy) and the gave him some of that gas and he did just fine. So no needle type anasthesia or anything like that.

TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

My 3rd son had to have his two front teeth capped. I don't remember him having to go under general though. It seemed like they just gave him gas, but I could be remembering wrong.  He is 14 now, so it is hard to remember.  Since they were his front teeth, they put porcelain fronts on them to make them look more normal.

gblossom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Thank you!

Quoting Hellobabies:

I had my whole mouth capped at 2 due to an accident, but I don't remember :) here's a bump.

gblossom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

My husband and I have been so diligent since our daughter got her first teeth to brush them twice daily, I breastfeed and she drinks water other than boob, and our daughter eats a wide variety of food but her snacks mostly consist of fruits and veggies - so here we are doing our damnedest to do everything in power 'right' and on her first trip to the dentist we're told she has small cavities. I'm like wtf?! The dentist then explains  that some children are more vulnerable (I also had caps on all my top teeth as a child, booohoo lol) and to keep an eye on them. I noticed the cavities were getting worse about a month later and take her in and I'm told she needs caps on her four front teeth and one molar. I cried. :( I'm already a nervous wreck for her to actually go through the procedure. It's in April and she'll be 19 months. 

Quoting blue_elephant:

I had to do this when my son was 4, he has 8 metal caps total, 4 on top and 4 on bottom, and yes I brushed his teeth twice a day everyday he just has bad enamel and teeth. It wasn't bad, when he woke up from the anesthesia he was cranky, tired, and whiney, but it wasn't horrible. And I cried when they wheeled him back for surgery. But it wasn't bad

gblossom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Were you allowed in the room with her when she was being put under?

Quoting IFartGlitter:

My son will probably have some caps here soon. My daughter at 2 had a couple teeth extracted and some cavities filled-- both procedures called for anesthesia. It was fine once my daughter was asleep, but getting her down was scary. After surgery was minimal issues... codeine to help with pain for like 2 days and she was pretty sleepy, but soon back to her usual self.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN